The Very Hungry Pups

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

The Very Hungry Pups

Post by loboLoco » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:12 pm

Making the wolf pups come to life in the upcoming Slough Creek episode has been our focus for much of the past eight months, from the beautiful 3D models and animations created by our partner GIM to the sophisticated AI behaviors that our lead developer Tommi has been designing and building. We’re still very deep in development, with much more to do before Slough Creek is ready for release, but the pups are shaping up well enough that it’s time for a sneak peak — assuming anyone out there is interested. ;)

So today’s devblog video looks at a few aspects of the pups, mainly around eating. The pups, of course, are very keen on food and will approach either parent who has food to share, whining and food-begging, until the parent regurgitates some tasty chunks. We’re using a combination of animations, blendshapes (small mesh animations on the pup’s face and ears), and Look IK to create believable behaviors. While there’s lots of refinement still to do, it’s coming along, and well on our way to meeting Tommi’s goal to make the pups as adorable as possible.

While we are very focused on developing WolfQuest: Anniversary Edition, we also are deeply grieved and angry about the killing of George Floyd and the larger issues of systemic racism and oppression in the United States. Dave and Susan live in Minneapolis/St Paul where the protests are affecting everyone, as they should. We hope that the sorrow, rage, and ugliness of these last weeks ignites deep and lasting change in our neighborhood and ripples out to the world.

We have released the first episode of WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition (Amethyst Mountain) for PC/Mac on Steam and itch.io, as Early Access. While in Early Access, we are updating the game frequently with more features, multiplayer, and ultimately the Slough Creek episode with pups. The mobile version will come after the game is completed on PC/Mac platforms. We’ll then resume development of the next episode, Tower Fall (DLC).
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

kagewan
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Kagerou

Re: The Very Hungry Pups

Post by kagewan » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:32 pm

Aah oh my goodness! The pups are coming along so wonderfully! They look so cute, its incredible they have so many animations! It'll be very dynamic to interact with them I imagine!! Is the gameplay where you're at the den with them going to be much longer than it is in the current game? I can only assume it would be given just the amount of content between the new pups and new territory systems, aswell as more that I'm sure I'm either just forgetting or hasn't been talked about yet, but it always seemed really fast to get through in the 2.7 version for me.

Nonetheless though, I'm really excited with how everything is coming together ! I appreciate that you make the effort to post the devblogs aswell to keep us all updated ! Thank you !

elkhunter123456
Yearling
Yearling

Post by elkhunter123456 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:56 pm

this devlog is my new favorite wolfquest video. :D (the bison devlog a few weeks ago was my former favorite) The pups are so cute! I love that they can now go in the den. Its so cute watching them go in the den as well as the fact that they have emotes now! Do they share the regurgitation's of meat of now? and can the pups sleep both inside and outside the den? if they can, will they be vulnerable to predator attacks when they sleep if they sleep outside? Slough creek is certainly going to be much harder than amythyst mountain! Your making great progress! how long can they survive without food on accurate?
Also those big fluffy ears are so cute!
Last edited by elkhunter123456 on Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xc92u3

Post by xc92u3 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:15 am

Oh my gosh! So exciting!! And so cute!! Eeeek! X3 It kind of reminds me of the Wii game "Lead the Meerkats", since you can tell your pups to go into the den, and man, I loved that game so much! It's nice getting to see something similar will be put into WQ3. I think it's so cute how you have to bark a bunch of times for them to actually go into the den, haha (unless we're in a time crunch and they're getting eaten while casually strolling to the den as slowly as possible o.o).
Also, Dave, that regurgitated puddle of meat looks absolutely disgusting :lol:

BlackMetal
Pup
Pup
Name: Avenger

Post by BlackMetal » Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:11 am

Oh my God, the puppies are really adorable! I'd love to cuddle one! :)
Last edited by BlackMetal on Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

-Wolfdog-
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Wolf

Post by -Wolfdog- » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:08 am

This is pretty exciting! Bigger litters mean bigger challenges, but also, more puppies! I really love how much effort you guys put into this game, you take the time to do your best work and create something original and spectacular. Even the regurgitation is realistic. The pups are very alive, can't wait for Slough Creek. :)

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: EMK

Post by Phasoli » Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:37 pm

They're absolutely precious! Definitely not opposed to having them be as cute as possible.

TimberWolf0450
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by TimberWolf0450 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:56 pm

I definitely appreciate the maximum amount of effort put into the game! Glad to see the pups are coming along :)