Raising Hills in Slough Creek

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Raising Hills in Slough Creek

Post by loboLoco » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:03 pm

We use actual topographic data to create our game maps, since they’re based on real locations in Yellowstone National Park. But the resolution of that data means that the game map is too smooth and generalized, without the level of detail that you see in the real place. Fortunately, there are more and more tools that help us add that important detail to the maps. It’s still a lot of work, but far easier than it was even a few years ago. Today’s devblog looks at how we use a tool for Unity called Gaia to make the granite hills around Slough Creek more realistic. Using Gaia’s Stamper tool, we can apply small-scale heightmaps of rock formations to raise (or lower) sections of the terrain, then paint textures based on convexity of the surface — so granite on the convex bumps and grass in the cracks and crevices in between. It takes a lot of experimentation to get it to look right, but it’s very satisfying to see the map gradually become more detailed and realistic. Of course, with such a big map, that means a LOT of experimentation — and hopefully a lot of satisfaction.

While in Early Access, we will be updating the game frequently with more features, multiplayer, and ultimately the Slough Creek episode with pups. The mobile version will come after the game is completed on PC/Mac platforms. We’ll then resume development of the next episode, Tower Fall (DLC).
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

SophieTheAiredale
Pup
Pup
Name: Sophie | She/they

Qestions

Post by SophieTheAiredale » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:39 pm

Wow!! Slough Creek is looking amazing!! I really can't wait to see what those cute pups will look like!! I also can't wait to explore and discover everything!! My wolf will have a workout by the time I'm done. . . Anyway, I have a few questions. One: Will SC come out first, or MP? Two: where will we spawn? (it's okay if you don't know yet) Three: how big is the map? because it looks bigger than AM. Four: Are the original dens still going to be there? Sorry for asking so much, I just have a lot of questions. :D

elkhunter123456
Yearling
Yearling

Re: Raising Hills in Slough Creek

Post by elkhunter123456 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:32 am

Its so green! :mrgreen: When slough creek comes out I know i'm going to try to get the largest territory possible :P

Mwitu
Pup
Pup

Post by Mwitu » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:21 pm

I love seeing this progress! I look forward to the new dens and the wide selection available. I'm already a bit intimidated at the prospect of rival wolf packs, though. I could see myself claiming territory at the edge of the map and as far away from other wolves as possible. Something tells me this game will be significantly harder than 2.7! :o

-Wolfdog-
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Wolf

Post by -Wolfdog- » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:03 pm

Ahhh!! Yay I've been waiting for the day you'd talk about Slough Creek. It's coming out great, and the water looks beautiful. I'm so excited for Slough Creek :D

Loach
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Jess

Post by Loach » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:40 pm

Man playing with stamps on unity terrain is amazing. I'm guessing these stamps and the brushing of the terrain is why there are some unwanted depressions or a bit too much jaggy parts?

Love seeing Slough Creek since it's so green and the longer expanse of river crossings will make it feel more wet and humid, compared to the dry cold feel Amethyst Mountain has.

SamueWolfSword
Pup
Pup
Name: Samue

Post by SamueWolfSword » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:57 pm

It looks really fun to paint in the heightmap of the hills and add the terrain textures. It also looks really cool and it`s nice that it paints textures for you so you don`t have to hand-draw everything from scratch (which I think can take more time and is harder to do).

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: EMK

Post by Phasoli » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:08 pm

I'm loving the greenery. The plant-scape is one of the highlights of the game for me.