WolfQuest Goes to the International Wolf Center

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

WolfQuest Goes to the International Wolf Center

Post by loboLoco » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:39 pm

[youtube]hOLTsnPsJOI[/youtube]
Video link:

We spent the weekend visiting the International Wolf Center (IWC) in northern Minnesota and meeting with one of our science advisors, Wolf Curator Lori Schmidt. It was great to get back to the Wolf Center to see the wolves, enjoy some education programs, and discuss some of the ideas and questions we have for WolfQuest 3. The Wolf Center was one of our original science partners from the very beginning, back in 2006, and played a critical role in the development of the original game. They even have WolfQuest kiosks onsite so visitors can try their luck at living the life of a wolf!

Even though we think about wolves pretty much all the time as we work on the game, we always learn something new when we talk to wolf experts. Lori is a fount of fascinating information, giving us insights into pup behaviors and development, den activities, wolf fighting, and much more. You’ll hear more from her in future videos when we focus on specific elements of gameplay.

And of course, seeing the Wolf Center’s ambassador wolves up close and personal is always a thrill. It was amazing to see them in their thick winter coats. Winter is actually when the wolves are the most active so if you ever have the chance to visit, pick a winter weekend! Although this pack happens to be composed of all males (and mostly unrelated, unlike in the wild), we saw all the social behaviors in play, especially at feeding time on Saturday night. It was cool to see the dominant wolves asserting themselves and the sub-adults testing and submitting (for now), and then all settling into enjoying their meal. When we returned the next morning, the wolves were lounging about in the sun digesting their tasty deer feast.

If you want to meet these wolves and learn all about wolf behavior, subscribe to their YouTube Channel. We also encourage everyone to become a member (we’re one!) and support their educational mission. Learn more at the IWC website.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

Echodextrous
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Echo

Re: WolfQuest Goes to the International Wolf Center

Post by Echodextrous » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:56 pm

That was so cool, wolves are honestly some of the most beautiful creatures I have ever seen. The Moose hoof was HUGE its so impressive that wolves can hunt something so much larger than they are, got to love team work! I love seeing how much work really goes into this game, research alone takes so long but I know the game is going to be amazing because of this dedication and turn out beautifully! Keep up the amazing work WQ Team! :) Thank you for making such an awesome and educational game, its hard to find a balance between the two I find and you guys are nailing it.

Gillato
Pup
Pup
Name: Vigilante'

Post by Gillato » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:25 pm

Woah, there so fluffy! and i like how he was warning him. then he added the charge into the other wolf and sent him rolling over

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:06 pm

I love the IWC, it's on my bucket list to visit someday.

PearlyReborn
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Meg

Post by PearlyReborn » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:10 pm

Fascinating to watch! I've always been intrigued by wolf behaviour.

I want to go to the IWC but I don't see it happening in the foreseeable future.

Black Burn
Name: BB for short

Post by Black Burn » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:13 pm

I couldn't watch the whole video but what I did see was awsome! The wolves were so cute and beautiful! And the moose hoof, it's no wonder why two and a half hits and your wolves dead in-game! Now I want to go to IWC even more then before!
Keep up the awsome work WolfQuest Team, I can't wait for WQ3!

xc92u3

Post by xc92u3 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:44 pm

That's so cool! Seeing wolves and stuff. Helps with wolf behavior so better results for Starlight, Penelope, and Azalea...? :)

Keep up tah incredible work, WQ Team!

airbones
Name: Razza

Post by airbones » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:23 pm

The fact that wolves can take down a moose has always blown my mind. This was really cool to watch, thanks for sharing!

Zoopal55
Pup
Pup

Post by Zoopal55 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:43 am

I love wolf-quest! And I have always wanted to visit yellow-stone national park! Is that were the Wolf-Center you mentioned is at? I can't wait to see more fun educational videos on wolf behavior now that I know of the you-tube channel! Always have been an enthusiast on animal behavior especially canines and felines! ;) I have heard of problems with the Alphas around the WQ Community. Be encouraged that despite the name Alphas are nearly impossible to get rid of considering popularity, the new definition of the alphas is spreading instead of the original theory biggest and strongest, they are more commonly known as the parents of the pack. They are now teaching this in school thankfully instead of visa versa. Also question about another behavior, upon reading a book about wolves there is a term called the "stern stare" which is used by the parental pair of the pack to keep others in line. Is this still accurate? I know pretty much as soon as a book is printed it's out-dated this is why I ask! LOL well that was a long paragraph going to go look up these videos now! ;D

-StarBender2000 :wolf:

ViperBrains

Post by ViperBrains » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:23 pm

1:01 .. awww, my little heart ;~;

This was a very fascinating video to watch, wolf behaviour has always intrigued me, mainly because it's so different and more complex comparison to other animals I have interest in. Super excited for WQ 3, everyday is a day nearer to the release dates!

Monalisa2013
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Monalisa2013 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:08 am

Starbender2000 wrote:I love wolf-quest! And I have always wanted to visit yellow-stone national park! Is that were the Wolf-Center you mentioned is at?.............Also question about another behavior, upon reading a book about wolves there is a term called the "stern stare" which is used by the parental pair of the pack to keep others in line. Is this still accurate?
Yellowstone is an awesome place to visit, I went there myself in 2012 and had the amazing good luck to spot 832AF, also known as Lamar 06, who was the then-alpha female of the Lamar Canyon Pack, along with her mate 755M hunting and stealing an elk calf, and then popping up out of the underbrush along the road, crossing the road about ten feet in front of me. It was WILD, and she had absolutely no care in the world that I was standing there, she turned and looked at me and I'll never forget the look in her eyes. Her mate crossed about thirty feet farther down the road, more skittish. They do have a rule to keep 100 feet between bears and wolves if spotted, although in that situation it was unavoidable as I'd not seen them approaching the road.

The International Wolf Center is actually located in Minnesota, Yellowstone is in Wyoming. I've always wanted to visit there myself. The stare you mention is still a prevalent part of wolf behavior, wolves are able to communicate quite a bit through a simple glare, and especially more dominant wolves will use that quite regularly as an initial warning to a more submissive or younger wolf that they need to behave, only then if the offender doesn't listen will the dominant wolf escalate to more aggressive behavior. Hope this helps!
:lol:

Lebron BMT
Pup
Pup

Post by Lebron BMT » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:11 pm

Watching some of the International Wolf Center's youtube videos really shows how complex and important social dynamics are to wolves. Hopefully we can include them in the game one day.

Gillato
Pup
Pup
Name: Vigilante'

Post by Gillato » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:09 pm

oh my gosh!!! i cant take it anymore can you guys pleeeaase give us the release date? or maybe just a hint??

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:26 pm

@Gillato: Please refer to the stickied topic found within this forum below the announcements.

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: EMK

Post by Phasoli » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:18 am

I love how committed the team is to checking their facts and providing gameplay that reflects the utmost realism of wolf behaviour. I could watch wolves all day! They're so beautiful and intriguing to watch.