New Tricks for the Pack: Improving MP functionality

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

chloeismagic
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Re: New Tricks for the Pack: Improving MP functionality

Post by chloeismagic » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:23 pm

I think more players per server/game is a MUST, Im not sure how many your guys servers can handle, but 10 or 15 would be amazing. also someone mentioned optional PvP which I think would also be amazing, but I think more players per server is the most important. if you arent able to add more players for payer hosted servers, maybe if there was an official server hosted by you guys that one could be bigger and hold a lot more players, maybe 20 or more if its possible! It would also be nice to have the official server run 24/7. I dont know how hard this would be to implement for you guys, but if its not too hard, I hope you will consider it! Have abeautiful day guys, thank you so much for making this game! :wolf: :pawprint:

el wolfo
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by el wolfo » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:03 pm

ElectricalHowl wrote:One idea I have is maybe to show when other players are typing. I find in role plays that players have trouble estimating if their fellow players are typing or not and post a reply before the other does. I believe this could be useful.
Maybe you could see the letters as they type them like scrolling text :)

wolf8484
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by wolf8484 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:15 am

I know this is really late, but the other day I was playing on multiplayer and thought it would be really useful to have something where you can pin a location on the map just for convenience. Also, the messaging system within the game (where you go to friend list and check your messages), should have notifications like sounds because I always end up noticing two hours later and they’re offline lol. You can disable and enable the sounds in settings. I know it doesn’t contribute much to the lobby but I think this kind of relates to it since it’s multiplayer... and I’d really like to have these changes (mostly the sound for notifications on messages). There could also be something on the friend list where you can follow your friend into a game, if you’re in a rush or don’t know where they are since the messages don’t have sounds yet... just to make things more convenient! Sorry if this wasn’t helpful though... xD Lastly, you guys probably hd this suggested many times but it would be nice in my opinion if you could make our messages a different color in the chat box, at least, because I get so lost sometimes when everyone is half roleplaying and half goofing off. It would be nice to keep track of what you said at least! Oh, and maybe if it’s possible when a new message arrives and you scroll up, it doesn’t change your position because I do that to see what someone said before and when someone sends something, it’s gone!
If possible I’d like to see these changes, thank you!

ForeverEverest
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Everest/Evie

Post by ForeverEverest » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:35 am

wolf8484 wrote:There could also be something on the friend list where you can follow your friend into a game, if you’re in a rush or don’t know where they are since the messages don’t have sounds yet... just to make things more convenient!
Just wanted to say I think this could potentially get annoying if you don't want your friends stalking you everywhere. Sometimes, depending on the mood, I don't feel like talking to anyone, and may join a hunting server or something where I can stay quiet and just play the game. I'm just thinking allowing friends to follow may be a problem when you want some alone time. I like the other ideas though.

AmberZeWolf
Yearling
Yearling

Post by AmberZeWolf » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:41 pm

Ooh the idea of your friends following you is nice, but the stalking thing does make sense- maybe a way to prevent that is by having it so you can toggle friends being able to follow you into servers, by default it should be off.

roguemoon
Yearling
Yearling

Post by roguemoon » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:27 pm

I only briefly scrolled through this thread so this may have been mentioned, but I think the rally system definitely needs changing! The current rally system can be quite frustrating when you have players who either don't contribute and the rally constantly fizzles or constantly spam the wag and bow buttons. It can get a little aggravating on hunting servers.

The other issue is it can be frustrating to try and rally when players are all over the map- this could especially become an issue with the dramatically larger maps or if servers allow a larger amount of players in the future. Perhaps if groups could do small rallies than only affecting the participating members?

duskypack
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: “Dusk”

Post by duskypack » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:10 pm

Yes! I never am able to rally because there’s always one person who forgets to participate or just needs to howl one more time but doesn’t realize. It’d be nice if it could be changed to something like 60% of the players in a certain radius to you.

Wolf915
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Wolf915 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:17 am

Wow this is amazing truly I just think working on two games at the sametime I have loss for words I love you and the staff there!

roguemoon
Yearling
Yearling

Post by roguemoon » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:15 pm

Along with the idea of the rally, there should be an AFK mode where the player can set and their wolf would lay down like it's sleeping and their name tag could turn black.
While in this mode they wouldn't be needed for a rally and they can simply return to game like normal by pressing the same afk mode button in settings or a hot key.

Definitely behind this idea- I think it would be really handy if it's possible.

I don't believe this has been mentioned, but I'd love to have a pop-up in the corner of the screen to alert you of new messages. I don't believe there's an in-game message alert system currently.

Also, having an 'Add to Pack' button next to friends names. Then this would prompt you to select which pack you'd want to add them in. It would make it easier than having to type their name into the bar. Particularly when people have more difficult to remember names.

Siblaime
Pup
Pup

Post by Siblaime » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:50 am

Yeah, there's something to do with rallies. Also I don't know why, but I thought about rallying not only for strenght, but also for ummm being more resistant to damage? (during hunting, when the attacked prey is trying to defend itself and it kicks the wolves?) It would be choosable...haha, I don't think anybody will support this idea, it's just a random thought that came to my mind.

ForeverEverest
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Everest/Evie

Post by ForeverEverest » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:10 am

roguemoon wrote:
Along with the idea of the rally, there should be an AFK mode where the player can set and their wolf would lay down like it's sleeping and their name tag could turn black.
While in this mode they wouldn't be needed for a rally and they can simply return to game like normal by pressing the same afk mode button in settings or a hot key.

Definitely behind this idea- I think it would be really handy if it's possible.
I like this idea, too. I think it would help with more than just rallies. I guess there's still the problem of some people who might not bother with turning it on, though. Maybe it could be set so they'll be put into "AFK mode" automatically if they're inactive for five minutes.

wolf8484
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by wolf8484 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:39 pm

ForeverEverest wrote:
wolf8484 wrote:There could also be something on the friend list where you can follow your friend into a game, if you’re in a rush or don’t know where they are since the messages don’t have sounds yet... just to make things more convenient!
Just wanted to say I think this could potentially get annoying if you don't want your friends stalking you everywhere. Sometimes, depending on the mood, I don't feel like talking to anyone, and may join a hunting server or something where I can stay quiet and just play the game. I'm just thinking allowing friends to follow may be a problem when you want some alone time. I like the other ideas though.
I totally agree with that, I didn't think of it when I posted the comment. In that case, I'd prefer a setting where players can toggle whether or not a friend can follow them for the times you'd rather be left alone :)

roguemoon
Yearling
Yearling

Post by roguemoon » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:05 pm

I think having the function to lock your server would be really useful. Locking the server would make it no longer visible on the menu and players wouldn't be able to join until it's open again. Personally, I think it would resolve a couple of annoying issues that arise in multiplayer games. I'm not sure if this can be enabled though?

wolf8484
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by wolf8484 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:16 pm

roguemoon wrote:I think having the function to lock your server would be really useful. Locking the server would make it no longer visible on the menu and players wouldn't be able to join until it's open again. Personally, I think it would resolve a couple of annoying issues that arise in multiplayer games. I'm not sure if this can be enabled though?
I like this idea very much. I think it would be useful if you could invite players into your game even if you lock it (like if they disconnected and someone else joins so they can't come back in.) I think clicking their username in the chat to have their account pop up so you could invite them back in or add them quickly that way will be useful. The locking prevents players from joining a game once it's full and players dc; that way they don't have to just leave immediately when they're asked or have players argue if they choose not to leave so the person that disconnected could come back in. In my opinion, it's also better than just having a tab for private games. So when you create the server you just lock it immediately and invite your friends. And if you later want to let other people join, you can just toggle it off in the game!
I was also thinking (forgot if this was mentioned before) that players could vote to kick someone out of a game. Sometimes in pups mode, players intentionally kill pups or are just rude and choose not to cooperate/be decent. But the host could be afk, or they might not want to kick them because they're afraid of getting in trouble for kicking someone from the game for seemingly not enough of a good reason. It's happened before in my experience and I found it frustrating to wait/convince the player to finish the game with the rest of us.

x1103
Pup
Pup

Post by x1103 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:04 am

Skulleh wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:24 am
I already posted this on FB, but lemme just c/p my ideas:
Spoiler
Show
1. Allow a sort of info panel, i.e. when the person creates the server, they can put information on what the server's general purpose is etc, and it can be viewed in a window like pack stats etc. This could be used to describe rp plots, server rules, whatever info the owner feels needs to be given. It'd make organizing things much easier- such as if I wanted to make a 'realism' server, I wouldn't have to explain to each and every individual person that joins how it works, that its not type-roleplaying, etc.

2. Seriously, why aren't we allowed spaces or dashes in game names?? You can use "|", but not "-"? Suggestion: Allow spaces and dashes, or AT LEAST dashes. Not all game names should have to be smushed together in one word.

3. Increase the letter count for server names. It's way too short... I can barely fit anything in a server name.

4. Allow private games to have more than 8 characters- it's a private game, the host is probably prepared to handle the larger amount of people. Maybe make the max 30.

5. Allow permanent private and public servers- i.e. ones that stay up even after the host logs off. The host would have to select that as an option when making it and could take it down at any time.

6. Allow 'Raise Pups' servers to continue after the goal is completed. No new content, but they can simply stay ingame and continue to care for the pups(or even let them die) as if they hadn't left the den/reached the rendezvous site yet.

7. Moderators that the game host can choose. These people would have the power to kick players from the game if the host is not around.

Another, alternate idea:
Completely rework how the multiplayer system works, or add a new 'mode' that changes it.

i.e. you'd have the basic, non-dedicated game servers with the 8 players, only up for as long as the host is online, etc...

And then you have the potential for server hosting similar to Ark, The Isle, etc. in which players can pay to have a permanent dedicated server up 24/7 whether the host is online or offline, with a custom-set player cap not limited to 8 players.

It can be done. Ark and The Isle and many other games manage that type of multiplayer system- I'm sure WQ could make it work, too.

Annnd another suggestion for ingame chat:
Basic multiplayer game chat functions that pretty much every multiplayer game has now.

As in- local chat, in which only players in a certain radius can see your message, general chat, which all players can see, and whisper chat, which allows you to 'whisper' to a specific player.

Would make roleplays with multiple people spread across the map(i.e. multipack rps) a lot easier and more organized. I shouldn't be able to see what the alpha of the other pack across the map is saying to their packmate.
Another Ark player here, hello! *Crouch* XD

Love these ideas. Also, I have been looking for a admin / wq team member / moderator answer about the uh, "dedicated public servers". Is this something we could have? Waiting for someone to put up a server may take a very long time (as I do not care for the RPs...) so it would be cool to be able to simply join a permanent server or something similiar.
Last edited by paperpaws on Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: condensing post