African Wild Dog

Discuss other canids (coyotes, foxes, dholes, etc.).

Moderators: Frodo1, Koa

SaritaWolf
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Re: African Wild Dog

Post by SaritaWolf » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:53 pm

You know what would be cool? An African Wild Dog game like WolfQuest. 8D Think of all the coat color possibilities! XD And you could hunt antelope and try to defend the pack from lions and hyenas. Though I don't think wild dogs are popular or well known enough for that. :[
Every time
The rain comes down,
Close my eyes and listen.
I can hear the lonesome sound
Of the sky as it cries...

Avvie Shop: http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=47907

River426
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by River426 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:19 pm

SaritaWolf wrote:You know what would be cool? An African Wild Dog game like WolfQuest. 8D Think of all the coat color possibilities! XD And you could hunt antelope and try to defend the pack from lions and hyenas. Though I don't think wild dogs are popular or well known enough for that. :[
That really would be cool

CLBaileyi
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

Post by CLBaileyi » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:33 pm

If you guys really think African Wild dogs are cool, then I hope you will check out the new pages to come on Wolf Quest. The Wild Canid Center will be a new national partner in the very new future (just waiting for a few more photos to get posted and the pages designed).

Look for us under the Partner sites to the left, and then animal information. We have also just finished some "fact sheets" on all of the species that are currently housed at the Center, besides wolves. Although I got involved in the conservation field because of my work with gray wolves, I am most interested in the behavior and other social things with the Wild Dogs. They are very exciting to work with-especially since we get to train them for husbandry behaviors for their own mental and physical stimulation. More to come...
" Many people think that conservation is just saving fluffy animals - what they don't realize is that conservation is war to prevent the human race from committing suicide. " Gerald Durrell (1925-1995)

Hiedidog

Post by Hiedidog » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:43 pm

CLBaileyi wrote:If you guys really think African Wild dogs are cool, then I hope you will check out the new pages to come on Wolf Quest. The Wild Canid Center will be a new national partner in the very new future (just waiting for a few more photos to get posted and the pages designed).

Look for us under the Partner sites to the left, and then animal information. We have also just finished some "fact sheets" on all of the species that are currently housed at the Center, besides wolves. Although I got involved in the conservation field because of my work with gray wolves, I am most interested in the behavior and other social things with the Wild Dogs. They are very exciting to work with-especially since we get to train them for husbandry behaviors for their own mental and physical stimulation. More to come...
Thats really nice! As soon as they put the page up for the African Wild Dog I'm going to check it out!
♥Kamisha♥

October 2009 Undine Falls Pack Member of the Month

wolfartemis
Pup
Pup

Post by wolfartemis » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:06 am

Did you know that of all the times African wild dogs hunt, more than 85% of the time they bring down prey? that is more than the 25% that lions do, and the ~66% wolves do.

Please check my facts, i think i am right, but you never know.

Hey, as long as you are talking about amazing canines, check out the hyena and the Aardwolf. They are really cool too. I love hyenas :mrgreen: but i am just an animal nut all around. I bet there is not a single animal that you could show me that I don't know a fact ( or two ) about!
"I do not suffer from insanity, i enjoy every minute of it"
"Opportunity knocked. My doorman threw him out"
"Indecision may or may not be my problem"
"Procrastination is the art of keeping up with yesterday"

Tejas
Pup
Pup
Location: Sitting on a block of ice, drinking my coca inside my snowhouse on ICEland

Post by Tejas » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:34 am

I love those!
I was watching Planet Earth on Youtube and there was a small part where they were hunting, and they were so organised it was unbelievable :shock:
If you want to see the part I think I can find the link again :)
Tejas

Tejas Tejas bo beebus banana phana fo feebus me mi mo meebus tejas!!!!
I am an awesomefultastic banana minion of the banana club!!!!

I'm not much online now, school and exams
Avvie by nunu ^^

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Post by pawnee » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:53 pm

I love the colouration of cape/african huting dogs...I don`t see why their so neglected in the list of famous african animals. everyone knows the big five but hunting dogs seem to be left in the dark. Their was a really good show on national geographic about them....I wish I had taped it!

CL...maybe wolf quest could have a page illustrating the canine family tree? that way it could show how and where grey wolves and african hunting dogs split or became diffrent.

I think the first one I saw was in a cartoon...something like Kimba or whatnot....
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

Hiedidog

Post by Hiedidog » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:30 pm

They've put up the Wild Canid Center page up. It has a picture of the African Wild dog too.
♥Kamisha♥

October 2009 Undine Falls Pack Member of the Month

SaritaWolf
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by SaritaWolf » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:41 pm

wolfartemis wrote: Hey, as long as you are talking about amazing canines, check out the hyena and the Aardwolf. They are really cool too. I love hyenas :mrgreen: but i am just an animal nut all around. I bet there is not a single animal that you could show me that I don't know a fact ( or two ) about!
Well, hyenas technically aren't canines. :oops: But I like the Striped Hyena and Aardwolf! I'm not a big fan of Spotted and Brown Hyenas as they can be bullies sometimes. :/

If I ever get into the animating business (which is highly unlikely as I'm not even studying anything related to art) I'm gonna' have an African Wild Dog as a character. I've even started already, see: http://saritadawolf.deviantart.com/art/ ... o-87711087 (She's Akoko, the one on the bottom) That's an old picture though, so it's not that good. :C

ANYWAY. Who here has ever seen real African Wild Dogs? I'd love to... but there aren't any zoos in my area that have them. :c
Every time
The rain comes down,

lilalphapup
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by lilalphapup » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:12 am

I like the african wild dog it looks so cute! But I like wolves more!

for those who dont know what a african wild dog looks like heres a picture.

http://img77.imageshack.us/img77/7950/a ... asm8vs.jpg
A
l
p
h
a
"Come to the dark side... We have cookies (::)"
~Alpha

.....(\_
...||{ `-;
(../..\ }
))|__\\
((_(),'\\,

).......(\_
((.... _/{ "-;
)).-' {{ ;'`
( (. ;._ \\

wolfartemis
Pup
Pup

Post by wolfartemis » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:17 am

SaritaWolf wrote:
wolfartemis wrote: Hey, as long as you are talking about amazing canines, check out the hyena and the Aardwolf. They are really cool too. I love hyenas :mrgreen: but i am just an animal nut all around. I bet there is not a single animal that you could show me that I don't know a fact ( or two ) about!
Well, hyenas technically aren't canines. :oops: But I like the Striped Hyena and Aardwolf! I'm not a big fan of Spotted and Brown Hyenas as they can be bullies sometimes. :/

If I ever get into the animating business (which is highly unlikely as I'm not even studying anything related to art) I'm gonna' have an African Wild Dog as a character. I've even started already, see: http://saritadawolf.deviantart.com/art/ ... o-87711087 (She's Akoko, the one on the bottom) That's an old picture though, so it's not that good. :C

ANYWAY. Who here has ever seen real African Wild Dogs? I'd love to... but there aren't any zoos in my area that have them. :c
i guess hyenas are not really canines, but i still loves them. there are zoos that have african wild dogs, i have been to them and seen the dogs. the ones i know of are the seattle zoo and the portland zoo is getting them soon, too

SaritaWolf
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by SaritaWolf » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:31 pm

wolfartemis wrote: i guess hyenas are not really canines, but i still loves them. there are zoos that have african wild dogs, i have been to them and seen the dogs. the ones i know of are the seattle zoo and the portland zoo is getting them soon, too
LUCKY! I don't live near either of those zoos. Someday I'll see one... :C

Off-topic: I have a pet rat named Artemis. When I first saw your name I was like "eh, it's a common name I guess" but then I saw your avatar. It's... a rat. And it looks just like my Artemis. 0_0 And it's kinda' creeping me out...
Every time
The rain comes down,

Aurora Storm
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Aurora Storm » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:51 pm

I love African Wild Dogs. I was one of the first visitors to the Perth ZOO after the female had her pups. They were adorable. I've been there recently and they've grown A LOT, as you would expect.
.------° § Aurora § °
..--Pack Leader Council
.---Undine Falls Pack
.------------Zeta

The Hardest Thing in Life
is Living it.
Death is Peaceful... Easy.
Life is Harder.

Avatar: "Aurora" avatar by Runningshadow75.

Proud Undine Falls Pack Member for Forever and Beyond
http://www.undinefallspack.com
PMotM September 2009

WildFire
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by WildFire » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:24 am

I haven't ever seen one like out in the wild, but I have seen pictures of them, and a few videos. I love their unique appearance. They have the coolest ears and their coats look like someone threw paint on them. And I didn't know that they 'chirped' until I saw this topic 8D

wolfartemis
Pup
Pup

Post by wolfartemis » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:30 pm

[/quote]LUCKY! I don't live near either of those zoos. Someday I'll see one... :C

Off-topic: I have a pet rat named Artemis. When I first saw your name I was like "eh, it's a common name I guess" but then I saw your avatar. It's... a rat. And it looks just like my Artemis. 0_0 And it's kinda' creeping me out...[/quote]

ha, ha, ha! i love rats! they are so cute! :mrgreen: but i swear i had no idea you even had a rat, much less named it artemis. i am just obbsesed with the greek go ds. i loves them, too :D

but African Wild Dogs aren't a very widely know species... i don't know why? thoughts?