New version: multiplayer and chatting

Archived news, updates and announcements.
Locked
User avatar
orangeonfire
Former WQ Moderator
Posts: 380
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:43 pm
Location: in yo' house, eatin' your golf clubs

Re: New version: multiplayer and chatting

Post by orangeonfire » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:20 pm

How would one know which words/sentences to ban? Eventually when people know what words trigger the boot, they may still use other typical words to piece together inappropriate stuff they're trying to say.

User avatar
NightfallRising
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:50 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Gryffindor Common Room, Hogwarts, England

Re: New version: multiplayer and chatting

Post by NightfallRising » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:01 pm

Naturally there will be people who'll abuse chat, voice chat especially. Keeping it in private games is probably the best way of handling things. I really only use private games to play with my [real life] friends or to screw around on my own. I don't talk to anyone over XBox Live unless I know them and probably wouldn't do so on this game either. I probably wouldn't let someone join a private game if I didn't know who they were either. My point is that basically this is the best way I can see that'll keep the kids (or people like me who just don't want to hear it) from the not-so-kid-friendly people. I think that text chat (unfiltered maybe) should also be an option for private games. As for text chat in open multiplayer, I think it'd kinda suck to have just Phrase chat or none at all but there will probably always be those who'll sneak around the rules...

User avatar
gemstone wolves
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:35 pm
Gender: Female

Re: New version: multiplayer and chatting

Post by gemstone wolves » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:59 pm

When does this new version come out? I cant wait to play it on my laptop! It sounds so great and i really love the new map and certain roles available! This is by far the greatest game ever! :D

User avatar
Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Posts: 12990
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:53 pm
Gender: Female
Location: washington, d.c.
Contact:

Re: New version: multiplayer and chatting

Post by Koa » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:15 pm

gemstone wolves wrote:When does this new version come out? I cant wait to play it on my laptop! It sounds so great and i really love the new map and certain roles available! This is by far the greatest game ever! :D
loboLoco wrote:We do have a number of new things in the works as well, though nothing as major as an all-new episode yet. So it'll be a few more months for sure. But we are working hard to get the tablet game in good shape for release as soon as possible!
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.p ... 5#p2327459

There is no set date for the release of WolfQuest on tablet versions yet -- just rough estimates! They are doing their best to get the version of the tablet as polished as possible so that it will run smoothly on tablets. :)

User avatar
RoarOriole
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1058
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:55 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: New version: multiplayer and chatting

Post by RoarOriole » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:00 pm

This is long potential jargon and I'm under a fever so forgive me if it's all jumbled and disorganized.
orangeonfire wrote:How would one know which words/sentences to ban? Eventually when people know what words trigger the boot, they may still use other typical words to piece together inappropriate stuff they're trying to say.
You would have to trust the users to behave or to call out other users who are dancing around the system.

Banning too many words and sentences is what made MP hard or impossible to play for people in the first place, so if the goal is to make it enjoyable, it's best to try and avoid making that same mistake. At this point it is a matter of trust the team would put into the users to behave.

Detection traps would simply be there to prevent people from using the worst case scenarios, and to catch those who aren't quick enough to catch onto how the flag system works. The rest is up to the users either behaving, or to be called out by the other members they are playing with. Those that abuse the tally or dance would either need to be called out or would get caught in invisible, underlying traps, but it would mostly stand with trust.

Trust, trust, trust.

Best words to ban would be the worst of the worst. Words you can't say on TV, highly offensive slurs, the txt abbreviations of them both, highly common slang alternatives for them, and then some common phrases where they'd most commonly be used. Can't say it on TV? Bet you both my hands you won't be able to say it in a kid's game.

An ideal scenario would be words and unwanted phrases each count as their own flags. The game would notify the player about the words, but the sentences would be silent and stack up on top of them. That way individual words could have fair punishment since on their own can be an honest slip or mistake, while using them in certain sentences is more likely than not intentional.

The rest of it would be up to users calling others out and just doing their best not to associate with the problem users if they could help it so the negatives won't reflect badly on the game. You act like that and you'd basically be begging to have yourself on an unofficial member blacklist when playing.

Basically the desire would be to not focus on the problem users, but to give good users something to potentially defend if they need to. A nice, usable chat is all nice and good, and one that automatically flags people who curse or speak disastrously lessen the workload and stress. They'd only have to worry about those that either A) don't care or B) figured out all the traps and dance around them (which, depending on if you have a no-tolerance ban policy, would be nigh on impossible because of invisible, never explained to the public traps), and it'd be a hope that in time the quality of people would improve because of it.

Voice chat would be no holds barred since it's so hard to moderate. Keeping it private and having a disclaimer on it would be important. If there's a way to make the voice communications in the game incompatible with voice changers, it'd be easier for members to tic the possible age of their fellow game-mates and make the right decision to end communication with them. and would be an entire matter of trust. Disclaimer to interactions on every chat form would be necessary, though the game atmosphere is set by the users that play it, so again, the trust factor comes back in.

But like I said it's all on trust. Trust, trust, trust. The team can only do so much. It's the community and player base that a large amount of it depends on. You can't prevent people from doing bad things, but can only hope to stop them through some means or encouraging others to not tolerate it at all.

User avatar
Chumpkins_
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 425
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:59 pm
Name:
Gender: Male
Location: ‍ ‍ ‍

Re: New version: multiplayer and chatting

Post by Chumpkins_ » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:21 pm

Maybe for online multiplayer we can have a mode that allows us to fight each other. If one player has switched the mode on they can only fight other players who have the mode active as well.

User avatar
wolfstorm13
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:24 am

Re: New version: multiplayer and chatting

Post by wolfstorm13 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:41 pm

Sorry to add another message but I thought this would be easier to see this.

Anyway, if the lexicon is removed would that mean that it would be removed and or taken off of my computer wolfquest 2.5 edition, because it may become unfair to some people if the lexicon is removed when they have their own game going on with friends or if they just like to roleplay in general. I like to roleplay because it brings out my creativity and creativeness between all members of wq. But without it, its just a bunch of words that you have to put together which would take a long time instead of just typing it and takes out creativity. I know this is a educational program but you already resist creative or unrealistic story's on the website so why take it off on the game. Is it because some people roleplay inappropriately? Well then how about the good people who are having a simple wolf pack story. Would you take their typing freedoms when they are having fun and restrict them to simple words, I mean there's the phrase "how's your day" or something like that and you cant even respond because it restricts you from saying anything but lets hunt, bear!, coyote!, elk herd, den, and so on. This game is for kids, I know, and the phrase chat is still fun but it still takes away creativity and people may get bored after a while. I would love to Role play in the new tablet version and play it but I may not play on multiplayer as much if its gonna be phrase chat. Please understand I like creativity and roleplay and so do must of the people on this game it may even help sales as well. Wolfquest needs to loosen up a bit and allow more creativity within its community which may become fun for younger kids.

User avatar
Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Posts: 5694
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:57 am
Gender: Female
Location: England, United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: New version: multiplayer and chatting

Post by Neamara » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:16 am

It's fine to make posts as long as you're not 'chaining' them together, as in making two posts without anyone else posting to 'break' in between yours -- that's all double posting means. ^^; So after my post, you're good to post again. Hope that makes sense.
wolfstorm13 wrote:Anyway, if the lexicon is removed would that mean that it would be removed and or taken off of my computer wolfquest 2.5 edition
Once lexicon is removed, it means that mode will no longer be accessible at all. It will probably still be shown on the "create" screen for a new multiplayer game, but presumably it will throw an error when attempts are made to use that mode. (Don't know the specifics, I'm just guessing.)
wolfstorm13 wrote:I know this is a educational program but you already resist creative or unrealistic story's on the website so why take it off on the game.
The game is intended to be exactly that: realistic and educational, same as the forums. It's true that the forums have changed over the years to allow some more 'off-topic' sections, but that doesn't necessarily mean the same for the game. The app will allow some (albeit within realistic guidelines) customizations. So there's some creativity allowance per se.
wolfstorm13 wrote:I would love to Role play in the new tablet version and play it but I may not play on multiplayer as much if its gonna be phrase chat.
It's been mentioned both in this forum and over in the tablet FAQ that chat will be less restrictive in private games (which will be fixed- huzzah) to allow a naughty words filter and voice chat. So that's probably going to be much less restrictive- http://wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=75088
wolfstorm13 wrote:Please understand I like creativity and roleplay and so do must of the people on this game it may even help sales as well. Wolfquest needs to loosen up a bit and allow more creativity within its community which may become fun for younger kids.
The sad part is that even though there are people in the community who wouldn't use chat for the sake of going against the rules, there are always going to be abusers to the extent of those efforts being in vain, hence why the WolfQuest Report Team was founded. Hopefully, the tablet version can be a bit more effective in dealing with abusers.
Nothing interesting happens.

[
XBL] • [Switch SW-7220-7090-5161]
Avatar © LupinzPack

User avatar
wolfstorm13
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:24 am

Re: New version: multiplayer and chatting

Post by wolfstorm13 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:20 am

Yea I understand, hopefully the private chat will work, I know that this is an educational game for kids but I hope I can still roleplay with my friends or other people by playing as something other than a wolf every once in a while, hopefully the wq team will get the rule breakers under control.

Serperior_123
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:08 am
Gender: Female
Location: United States

Re: New version: multiplayer and chatting

Post by Serperior_123 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:26 pm

I don't know about you guys, but I was thinking about player vs. player (PVP). I mean, you can have an option of having it PVP, because some people just want to relax and rp, rather then getting killed every 5 seconds. I'm asking for PVP because I'm used to it, since I play Fly Like A Bird 3 and Russia's Army. Or, you can have an option of what words are allowed in the private games. Because, sometimes I just wanna talk about dinosaurs, but all I can talk about is tyrannosaurus and triceratops. But what I really wanna talk about is Compsognathus, Spinosaurus and a bunch of other ones

User avatar
Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Posts: 12990
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:53 pm
Gender: Female
Location: washington, d.c.
Contact:

Re: New version: multiplayer and chatting

Post by Koa » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:48 pm

Serperior_123 wrote:I don't know about you guys, but I was thinking about player vs. player (PVP). I mean, you can have an option of having it PVP, because some people just want to relax and rp, rather then getting killed every 5 seconds. I'm asking for PVP because I'm used to it, since I play Fly Like A Bird 3 and Russia's Army. Or, you can have an option of what words are allowed in the private games. Because, sometimes I just wanna talk about dinosaurs, but all I can talk about is tyrannosaurus and triceratops. But what I really wanna talk about is Compsognathus, Spinosaurus and a bunch of other ones
I don't think PVP would be realistic for a game like WolfQuest. Fighting takes a lot of energy and is a lengthy process, so PVP for wolves in a realistic wolf simulation would not be the best representation of wolf behavior.

As far as the lexicon goes, certain specific words simply are not in the lexicon; for example, it would be tedious to add all possible dinosaur and animal names. The current lexicon is based off words that are either commonly used/known or for practical use during the game.

Serperior_123
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:08 am
Gender: Female
Location: United States

Re: New version: multiplayer and chatting

Post by Serperior_123 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:55 pm

Koa wrote:
Serperior_123 wrote:I don't know about you guys, but I was thinking about player vs. player (PVP). I mean, you can have an option of having it PVP, because some people just want to relax and rp, rather then getting killed every 5 seconds. I'm asking for PVP because I'm used to it, since I play Fly Like A Bird 3 and Russia's Army. Or, you can have an option of what words are allowed in the private games. Because, sometimes I just wanna talk about dinosaurs, but all I can talk about is tyrannosaurus and triceratops. But what I really wanna talk about is Compsognathus, Spinosaurus and a bunch of other ones
I don't think PVP would be realistic for a game like WolfQuest. Fighting takes a lot of energy and is a lengthy process, so PVP for wolves in a realistic wolf simulation would not be the best representation of wolf behavior.

As far as the lexicon goes, certain specific words simply are not in the lexicon; for example, it would be tedious to add all possible dinosaur and animal names. The current lexicon is based off words that are either commonly used/known or for practical use during the game.
I guess it makes sense. I mean, not a lot of people know the name, Parasaurolophus, so I suppose its kind of pointless to put every name, even though, I'd probably fall in love with the game again. It also makes sense to what you are talking about with PVP. I mean, it would be cool, but its a bit different since wolves don't have guns and they don't poo on each other or modern art. At least what I've seen. :P

User avatar
HowlerOfTheWolves
Pup
Pup
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:42 pm
Gender: Female
Location: idek

Re: New version: multiplayer and chatting

Post by HowlerOfTheWolves » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:23 pm

I absolutely love the idea of a co-op to raise pups!

[tahreema imtiaz]
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat May 11, 2013 3:17 pm

Re: New version: multiplayer and chatting

Post by [tahreema imtiaz] » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:49 am

I am TOTALLY LIKING YOUR NEW STUFF BUT CLOSING OF LEXIAN CHAT IN MULTIPLAY IS A BAD IDEA

User avatar
alethe
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2813
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:39 pm
Name: [REDACTED]
Gender: Female
Location: scadrial
Contact:

Re: New version: multiplayer and chatting

Post by alethe » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:49 am

You might not have a choice. If funding doesn't go up, the lexicon chat will close. Plain and simple. It costs money to keep that running. Now, with the new tablet version costing money, it might not go away but understand that it might.

Locked

Return to “WolfQuest News and Announcements Archive”