New version: multiplayer and chatting

Archived news, updates and announcements.
User avatar
Bailee
Pup
Pup
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:23 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Frying in the desert
Contact:

Re: New version: multiplayer and chatting

Post by Bailee » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:35 pm

Maybe we could begin to implement 18 and older multiplayer groups, unconstrained from the lexicon chat (With the exception of vulgar words). I know I used to play this a lot when I was younger and while the lexicon kept the chat from being vulgar, it also crippled my ability to role play effectively. However, I wouldn't have changed it, given when I began playing this I must have been 13 or so years old.
Maybe we could separate the chats in order to protect younger players while giving more mature players less of a difficult time with the chat lexicons.

User avatar
Wolvencall
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Posts: 663
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:00 pm
Name: Maddie
Gender: Female
Location: Somewhere in the woods

Re: New version: multiplayer and chatting

Post by Wolvencall » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:28 pm

They have, its now moved to private games with wolf quest friends. while open games are phrase chat. there will be features where you can form a pack type of friends list thing and a messaging system

User avatar
SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter
Posts: 6264
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:13 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Canada

Re: New version: multiplayer and chatting

Post by SolitaryHowl » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:15 am

Bailee wrote:Maybe we could begin to implement 18 and older multiplayer groups, unconstrained from the lexicon chat (With the exception of vulgar words). I know I used to play this a lot when I was younger and while the lexicon kept the chat from being vulgar, it also crippled my ability to role play effectively. However, I wouldn't have changed it, given when I began playing this I must have been 13 or so years old.
Maybe we could separate the chats in order to protect younger players while giving more mature players less of a difficult time with the chat lexicons.
There is. In public games there is only the phrase chat, but in private games you can either do the phrase chat, text chat (not like the lexicon, just a simple bad-words list), or voice chat.

They got rid of the lexicon because it was an old system and there are now better ways of doing things. Also, it turned into an arms race where players would always find ways around the lexicon to still say what they wanted, so it was wasting the team's time updating it and such.

User avatar
Kitsuma
Yearling
Yearling
Posts: 445
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:58 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Browsing the Web

Re: New version: multiplayer and chatting

Post by Kitsuma » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:43 pm

That's not really an 18 and older thing that was mentioned. The private games will be unconstrained but not just for those that are 18 and older, which I think the Bailee was talking about.

Personally, I would still like to have unconstrained in open games with inappropriate words being blocked, but I'll take what I can get.

I know why they did it, so I don't need to be told why. It just felt overboard when WQ limited our speaking, which is why I'm glad that at least I can get it in private games.

User avatar
AmberZeWolf
Yearling
Yearling
Posts: 276
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:00 pm
Gender: Female
Location: In amethyst mountain.

Re: New version: multiplayer and chatting

Post by AmberZeWolf » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:26 pm

I think we should accept what is gonna happen to multiplayer. Wolf Quest truely cares for younger kids under 18 (Like me!) If they are trying to make chat safer by moving roleplayed and those graphic meat games to their own spot in multiplayer.

User avatar
Kitsuma
Yearling
Yearling
Posts: 445
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:58 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Browsing the Web

Re: New version: multiplayer and chatting

Post by Kitsuma » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:44 pm

And I did. I'm happy that I can do unconstrained in private.

User avatar
Kamaal
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1080
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 9:08 am
Name: Kam
Gender: Female
Location: Wanna take a guess?

Re: New version: multiplayer and chatting

Post by Kamaal » Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:52 am

That's all good news, it's nice to hear that private games are back, but my opinion in this topic is a bit different. I don't agree 100% on removing the lexicon chat, I say this because most of the players are just friends via WQ, so time difference might be huge. making them able to meet only on weekends and not everyday. I honestly enjoyed the lexicon chat, even with those restrictions it had, I was able to role play in a decent grammatical form in the open games session. I would be willing to pay a few more dollars to keep the lexicon chat running and alive, that's only my opinion, it would be nice if you put it under consideration. I would honestly be disappointed if this option simply got removed...

-Rain

User avatar
Wolvencall
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Posts: 663
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:00 pm
Name: Maddie
Gender: Female
Location: Somewhere in the woods

Re: New version: multiplayer and chatting

Post by Wolvencall » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:43 am

Rain-song wrote:That's all good news, it's nice to hear that private games are back, but my opinion in this topic is a bit different. I don't agree 100% on removing the lexicon chat, I say this because most of the players are just friends via WQ, so time difference might be huge. making them able to meet only on weekends and not everyday. I honestly enjoyed the lexicon chat, even with those restrictions it had, I was able to role play in a decent grammatical form in the open games session. I would be willing to pay a few more dollars to keep the lexicon chat running and alive, that's only my opinion, it would be nice if you put it under consideration. I would honestly be disappointed if this option simply got removed...

-Rain
it is technically being kept in private games along with voice chat being implemented, and finding people will be a lot easier as you can form packs, but open games its understandable. i dont see why people dont like this all you have to do is get a group in open multiplayer, tell them a name and passcode and transfer.

User avatar
Kamaal
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1080
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 9:08 am
Name: Kam
Gender: Female
Location: Wanna take a guess?

Re: New version: multiplayer and chatting

Post by Kamaal » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:21 am

You have a point, I must admit, but it still would be nice to have the lexicon chat in open multiplayer games, along with the phrase chat and the free chat in private ones. I guess I'll just need to get used to it.

User avatar
AmberZeWolf
Yearling
Yearling
Posts: 276
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:00 pm
Gender: Female
Location: In amethyst mountain.

Re: New version: multiplayer and chatting

Post by AmberZeWolf » Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:06 am

Children play this game. That's probably the main reason WQ did this is for their safety. Not many protesting players are thinking about that, from what I am seeing. There can be kids young as 7- possibly younger, I totally agree on lexicon chat being turned to not so restricted chat in private games, I wouldn't agree on keeping in restricted chat in open games for that reason. Plus have you seen the graphic meat games and other.. Weird stuff people are role playing? They seem to be more common.

Also I don't really agree on voice chat.. It just doesn't appeal to me, even in private games.

User avatar
Kamaal
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1080
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 9:08 am
Name: Kam
Gender: Female
Location: Wanna take a guess?

Re: New version: multiplayer and chatting

Post by Kamaal » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:33 am

Your point is pretty reasonable, I know that those types of weird rps are most of the time active, but I believe that we could keep the lexicon chat in open games. Since the new WQ requires pyament to get it along with your key for the account, I believe that "meat" and such servers should be limited, because people would not like to get their account banned, since they would need to buy the game again to get a new key.

User avatar
paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator
Posts: 4427
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:44 pm
Contact:

Re: New version: multiplayer and chatting

Post by paperpaws » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:59 am

Hey, I just wanted to point out that in the very beginning of WolfQuest multiplayer, the way the chat worked is basically how it works in private games in 2.7 - unconstrained aside from swear words being filtered. Only when this was abused and misused did the Team decide to switch to the lexicon, but as we've seen that didn't go over too well either.. People still found ways to avoid the filters, causing more and more words to get removed, still to no avail. All in all, it was just more hassle than it was worth, and as Snow pointed out, the devs do want to look out for younger players. WolfQuest is aimed at a younger demographic, and it's only reasonable then that the multiplayer games are kept as safe as possible.

The phrase chat is luckily pretty extensive as well, so you'll have plenty of ways to point out you'd like to keep in touch with other users. It's unfortunate that roleplaying games will end up being less spontaneous and have to be arranged and all that, but it's honestly the compromise we had to come to. On a side note, I'm personally hoping for that to create some more activity within the Community and Pack Central.
Rain-song wrote:Your point is pretty reasonable, I know that those types of weird rps are most of the time active, but I believe that we could keep the lexicon chat in open games. Since the new WQ requires pyament to get it along with your key for the account, I believe that "meat" and such servers should be limited, because people would not like to get their account banned, since they would need to buy the game again to get a new key.
I'm very much hoping for this to be true, because I personally also have seen pay-to-play games generally having a much more pleasant Community. I believe this is something worth considering in the future, though... Playing it safe first can't hurt, just in case.
Snow130 wrote:Also I don't really agree on voice chat.. It just doesn't appeal to me, even in private games.
Ha, I feel that. Rest assured it'll be completely optional, though! I think this feature mostly got implemented with consideration for tablet users, as typing is slower and perhaps more awkward on tablets (given the area of your screen the keyboard covers whenever you enable it)...

User avatar
Kamaal
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1080
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 9:08 am
Name: Kam
Gender: Female
Location: Wanna take a guess?

Re: New version: multiplayer and chatting

Post by Kamaal » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:22 am

Anduril wrote:Hey, I just wanted to point out that in the very beginning of WolfQuest multiplayer, the way the chat worked is basically how it works in private games in 2.7 - unconstrained aside from swear words being filtered. Only when this was abused and misused did the Team decide to switch to the lexicon, but as we've seen that didn't go over too well either.. People still found ways to avoid the filters, causing more and more words to get removed, still to no avail. All in all, it was just more hassle than it was worth, and as Snow pointed out, the devs do want to look out for younger players. WolfQuest is aimed at a younger demographic, and it's only reasonable then that the multiplayer games are kept as safe as possible.

The phrase chat is luckily pretty extensive as well, so you'll have plenty of ways to point out you'd like to keep in touch with other users. It's unfortunate that roleplaying games will end up being less spontaneous and have to be arranged and all that, but it's honestly the compromise we had to come to. On a side note, I'm personally hoping for that to create some more activity within the Community and Pack Central.
Rain-song wrote:Your point is pretty reasonable, I know that those types of weird rps are most of the time active, but I believe that we could keep the lexicon chat in open games. Since the new WQ requires pyament to get it along with your key for the account, I believe that "meat" and such servers should be limited, because people would not like to get their account banned, since they would need to buy the game again to get a new key.
I'm very much hoping for this to be true, because I personally also have seen pay-to-play games generally having a much more pleasant Community. I believe this is something worth considering in the future, though... Playing it safe first can't hurt, just in case.
Snow130 wrote:Also I don't really agree on voice chat.. It just doesn't appeal to me, even in private games.
Ha, I feel that. Rest assured it'll be completely optional, though! I think this feature mostly got implemented with consideration for tablet users, as typing is slower and perhaps more awkward on tablets (given the area of your screen the keyboard covers whenever you enable it)...
I do agree with your opinion Anduril, but it would be a shame seeing the lexicon simply die, because of some players who decided to break the rules. I know that the game is aimed for younger ages, but I personally had a great time role playing in the actual game. I would be glad if at least some of you would consider keeping the lexicon chat.

User avatar
SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter
Posts: 6264
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:13 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Canada

Re: New version: multiplayer and chatting

Post by SolitaryHowl » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:41 am

Rain-song wrote:
Anduril wrote:Hey, I just wanted to point out that in the very beginning of WolfQuest multiplayer, the way the chat worked is basically how it works in private games in 2.7 - unconstrained aside from swear words being filtered. Only when this was abused and misused did the Team decide to switch to the lexicon, but as we've seen that didn't go over too well either.. People still found ways to avoid the filters, causing more and more words to get removed, still to no avail. All in all, it was just more hassle than it was worth, and as Snow pointed out, the devs do want to look out for younger players. WolfQuest is aimed at a younger demographic, and it's only reasonable then that the multiplayer games are kept as safe as possible.

The phrase chat is luckily pretty extensive as well, so you'll have plenty of ways to point out you'd like to keep in touch with other users. It's unfortunate that roleplaying games will end up being less spontaneous and have to be arranged and all that, but it's honestly the compromise we had to come to. On a side note, I'm personally hoping for that to create some more activity within the Community and Pack Central.
Rain-song wrote:Your point is pretty reasonable, I know that those types of weird rps are most of the time active, but I believe that we could keep the lexicon chat in open games. Since the new WQ requires pyament to get it along with your key for the account, I believe that "meat" and such servers should be limited, because people would not like to get their account banned, since they would need to buy the game again to get a new key.
I'm very much hoping for this to be true, because I personally also have seen pay-to-play games generally having a much more pleasant Community. I believe this is something worth considering in the future, though... Playing it safe first can't hurt, just in case.
Snow130 wrote:Also I don't really agree on voice chat.. It just doesn't appeal to me, even in private games.
Ha, I feel that. Rest assured it'll be completely optional, though! I think this feature mostly got implemented with consideration for tablet users, as typing is slower and perhaps more awkward on tablets (given the area of your screen the keyboard covers whenever you enable it)...
I do agree with your opinion Anduril, but it would be a shame seeing the lexicon simply die, because of some players who decided to break the rules. I know that the game is aimed for younger ages, but I personally had a great time role playing in the actual game. I would be glad if at least some of you would consider keeping the lexicon chat.
It is not up to us (the mods and/or beta testers) whether or not to keep the lexicon in open games.

A few bad apples ruin the bushel. In any case, It is not hard at all to arrange private games, seeing as there's not only an in-game messaging and friends system but an in-game pack system as well.

User avatar
Kamaal
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1080
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 9:08 am
Name: Kam
Gender: Female
Location: Wanna take a guess?

Re: New version: multiplayer and chatting

Post by Kamaal » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:45 am

Alright, I guess you're right Solitary, I'll just need to get used to it... Since it's for reasons of pure safety.

Locked

Return to “WolfQuest News and Announcements Archive”