New version: multiplayer and chatting

Archived news, updates and announcements.
Mist Haven
Pup
Pup

Re: New version: multiplayer and chatting

Post by Mist Haven » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:29 pm

Tonbei wrote:
  • Hmm, FeralHeart might be one example. That game is an MMORPG that has undergone chat changes over time. I personally don't know a whole lot of details, but they could be looked up if this example is of interest.
From what I remember, which is unfortunately not much, there are some filters, like in the multiplayer games here, which could work, but for some odd reason I feel as if the tablet wouldn't be able to handle the lexicon chat that Feral-Heart has (correct me if I'm wrong, I'm trying my best to remember the details). The phrase chat would probably work better on a tablet. (Also, apologies if I misunderstood your comment whoops)

SilkenGalaxy
Name: Alex

Post by SilkenGalaxy » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:54 pm

I've played FeralHeart, but not over a long time, but I did hear on the forums that at first everything was friendly and fine, people were more roleplay oriented, but now people are just trolls, they curse and everything went down the drain....

1BitJay
Name: Jay

Post by 1BitJay » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:44 am

Let me insert my opinion on this. I do not like the idea of private games on a tablet. Multiplayer games are more for the PC. I think open servers are perfectly fine. But, limited to simple things like 4 people per server and text-based only. This is because some people would have to turn off the automatic mic and turn down their game. Also, it might be weird for parents to hear their kids talking to random people, rather than a text-based. I wouldn't be able to chat with people if I was like at a family member's house. I would preferably type what I want to say, rather than say what I want to say.

duskypack
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: “Dusk”

Post by duskypack » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:13 pm

If it were a private game, I would like to choose if I'd like to use voice or text. I don't see anything good about voice chat for Wolfquest, in my opinion it is rather unnecessary, and potentially dangerous since it is kid-oriented. Anyone could make an account and pm someone with a game name and password for a private game.

alethe
Name: [REDACTED]

Post by alethe » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:36 pm

I don't see how voice chat could be "dangerous." People wouldn't be able to tell where you live based on how your voice sounds.
As for awkward, yes. My parents hate it when my brother talks to people over Xbox or Steam, so there's that. Parents would be less likely to allow the game because of a voice chat feature, I think.

SilkenGalaxy

Post by SilkenGalaxy » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:00 pm

duskypack wrote:If it were a private game, I would like to choose if I'd like to use voice or text.
Yes, I agree there. But I also agree with many others with the fact that parents wouldn't like their children talking to strangers. My parents would make me stop playing the game if I was forced to use voice chat.

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:02 pm

We are talking to a lawyer about children and privacy issues -- well, more specifically, about how the COPPA law affects the chat and other features of multiplayer. At very least, kids under 13 won't have the full set of chat features, but exactly what the split is will depend on the law's requirements.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

duskypack
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by duskypack » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:45 pm

river6 wrote:I don't see how voice chat could be "dangerous." People wouldn't be able to tell where you live based on how your voice sounds.
As for awkward, yes. My parents hate it when my brother talks to people over Xbox or Steam, so there's that. Parents would be less likely to allow the game because of a voice chat feature, I think.
Its not how your voice sounds, its the lack of filtering and how smoothly personal information can be gotten. My brother is nearly eighteen but my parents don't let him use voice chat, in general parents would definitely be less willing.

alethe

Post by alethe » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:50 pm

Well, it should be common sense (at least for older users) to not give that out. I still don't see how it could be dangerous if used correctly. I agree with limiting it for people under 13, especially because of the COPPA user laws. Maybe also putting a warning before entering the chat as well, something along the lines of "The filter does not apply to voice chat. If you do not know who you're talking to, proceed with caution." Or something like that.

duskypack
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by duskypack » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:47 pm

That sounds fair :3

SilkenGalaxy

Post by SilkenGalaxy » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:56 pm

I agree with you guys on that, it makes perfect sense :3

Granger
Former WQ Moderator
Name: Shelby

Post by Granger » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:13 pm

Parents really should pay attention and moderate what their children are doing online.. It's not the best if you let your young and impressionable children go on games with possibly inappropriate/dangerous content where they can share personal information and the like, and allow them to do so, then going on to blame the game or website for allowing it to happen.

Perhaps a disclaimer like that could also pop up before you join a voice chat, in addition to the 'no filter' warning that river6 mentioned.

alethe

Post by alethe » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:19 pm

#NOFILTER
sorry, couldn't resist.

But I agree with those points. Voice chat can be a sticky situation.

Windstrider
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Wind

Post by Windstrider » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:19 pm

My idea is pretty much for the PC/Mac version if there's enough sales, but I figured I'd throw this out there to see what people think. Sorry in advance for the log post lol.
Voice chat is a cool idea, though regular chat should definitely be an option for people who aren't comfortable using voice chat. Maybe for users over 13 in private games, there could be a less restricting filter. Rule-breakers are always going to find some way around filters, while the rest of us who follow the rules can't really converse or rp. This is just a thought, but 1) I have no idea what code would confirm users' ages, and 2) most of the discussion is about voice chat; hopefully this isn't too off-topic.

SilkenGalaxy

Post by SilkenGalaxy » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:01 pm

Skydust wrote:My idea is pretty much for the PC/Mac version if there's enough sales, but I figured I'd throw this out there to see what people think. Sorry in advance for the log post lol.
Voice chat is a cool idea, though regular chat should definitely be an option for people who aren't comfortable using voice chat. Maybe for users over 13 in private games, there could be a less restricting filter. Rule-breakers are always going to find some way around filters, while the rest of us who follow the rules can't really converse or rp. This is just a thought, but 1) I have no idea what code would confirm users' ages, and 2) most of the discussion is about voice chat; hopefully this isn't too off-topic.
This is actually a good idea :D

Return to “News and Announcements Archive”