Squash the Bugs! Contest- Updated!

Archived news, updates and announcements.
WQ Coordinator
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

Squash the Bugs! Contest- Updated!

Post by WQ Coordinator » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:39 am

*Update below*

Though I am a fan of insects and their relatives and would never propose violence against them, I fully support fixing as many bugs as we can find in the WolfQuest games, and we need your help! We currently have enough funding to work on squashing some of those annoying bugs you all have experienced while playing WolfQuest; we'd like your help in determining which of these bugs are the most important to fix and why these bugs happen in the first place. We will accept special bug reports (see the rules below) until the end of March 1, 2011. If you can successfully help us figure out how to reproduce the problem,not only could the bug be fixed in Episode 2.5 because of your help, but also, the person who submits the most helpful bug report and follows the rules of this contest will not only win a WolfQuest t-shirt and embroidered patch, but will also become a beta tester for Episode 2.5. We are hoping to have at least one winner. If you're interested, please follow these rules:

1) If we can't reproduce it, we can't fix it. In other words, the bug needs to be something that happens to you consistently; every time you do something specific. If it's a bug that only shows up sometimes, and you can't make a connection to what you do that causes it to happen, it's not something we can fix so please don't bother reporting it.
2) Each person is allowed to submit up to five bug reports for this contest. If you have more than five bugs to report, or notice a bug/glitch after March 1, you can feel free to submit them by following the instructions on how to submit bug reports (found in the WolfQuest FAQ), but these will not be considered for the contest and will not be eligible for the prizes.
3) If you submit an entry for this contest, you need to be able to attach files onto your e-mails. Even if the bug you're reporting doesn't seem like it needs anything else to describe it, we may have further questions about it and require one of the files listed in the next rule.
4) All bug reports submitted for this contest should be e-mailed to coordinator@wolfquest.org (not bugs@wolfquest.org) with the following information:
  • your username and e-mail address
  • everything you were doing before the crash/bug/glitch
  • the steps we can follow to reproduce the problem
  • crash files and output logs (output_log.txt), whenever possible (you may have to run the game as an administrator on your computer on vista and Windows7 to see the output log)
  • saved game file(s) (if related to your bug)
  • screenshots to show the problem (this is least important- the crash files and saved games are more important)
Once the winner has been determined, we will post the username and bug reported on this topic. (We will also contact the winner for his/her shipping address so we can mail the shirt and patch.) If you would like to help us fix bugs but do not want to be a beta tester and/or win a shirt/patch, please let me know in your entry.

Good luck! Feel free to post questions below, but any bug reports submitted as a message will not be entered into the contest (and may actually allow someone else to use your bug as a contest submission).

Relevant help topics for finding output logs etc.
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29539
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21329

Contest update:thank you to everyone who entered! While we can't guarantee the problems you reported will be fixed, most of the information we received was quite helpful, and hopefully will be the key to fixing some of those game bugs.

There were, however, a few bugs we are well aware of, but have not been reported with enough information to actually fix. So. Whether you already submitted contest entries or not (even if you already submitted 5), we are extending the contest deadline to Tuesday, March 15 for anyone who can report one or both of the following:
1) issues connecting to/staying in/starting open and private multiplayer games, and
2) issues with mate & pup AI (artificial intelligence behavior), including interactions with you & how they're programmed.

If you're reporting the connection issues, you must include output logs, ideally both from the players who were actually in the game and were able to stay connected, and to the player(s) who were not able to connect at all or not able to stay in the game. (This bug would best be tackled by a team effort.) And of course, also include a description as to what exactly you and the other player(s) were doing before you or the other player crashed.

If you're reporting mate and pup issues, output logs, saved games, and detailed descriptions of exactly what was happening before and during the bug, as well as where exactly you were on the map (a screenshot of you on the map as well as a physical description would be helpful) are the things we'll need to fix what you report.

So if you can report on either or both of those bugs, we'd be extremely grateful, and we'd then potentially be able to fix these problems, which are probably the most major issues we've come across. The fate of WolfQuest is in your hands... you have until March 15th, though please send the bug report as soon as you have it. All other contest details are the same as described above.

Thanks for your help, and the final contest winners will be announced after this new contest deadline, later in the week.
Last edited by WQ Coordinator on Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:45 am, edited 4 times in total.

Zethra

Re: Squash the Bugs! Contest

Post by Zethra » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:12 am

I have a quick question, what do you mean exactly about 'crashed file', where do you find it? and do you need to send it if your game didn't crash due to the bug?

Rikkuzilla
Name: Rikku

Post by Rikkuzilla » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:38 am

Zethra wrote:I have a quick question, what do you mean exactly about 'crashed file', where do you find it? and do you need to send it if your game didn't crash due to the bug?
A crash dump file is generated if your game actually crashes. A notice will pop up on your screen while playing the game--and a file is generated in, I believe your WolfQuest_Data folder (or the same folder your output log appears in). Not 100% sure on that---in the process of verifying that. This is something I am currently working on, since it's been eons since I've messed with crash dump files.

I also need to look through my old text files and emails from the old Undine Falls bug report contest we had eons ago to see if there is anything else that needs to be included to ensure people submit "good, detailed" bug reports and what they need to include in their bug report. Steve (WileE) had sent me a few things many moons ago---and I'm having trouble finding it. XD wolf567 might be able to remind me though since we worked on that together. :Þ

Masika
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Masika » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:01 am

Thanks for posting this information, Cana! I don't plan on entering myself though, I have one or two things to be getting on with, so I don't think I'll have the time to participate much x3 Good luck to everyone who participates in the contest! (creative thread title, by the way, hehe!)

Sky Eclipse
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf
Location: Soaring across the skies on my epic whale. Wanna come...? o.0

Post by Sky Eclipse » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:19 pm

Ooo, this sounds like a fun contest... I already have one annoying bug I remember from the times I used to play WQ like every day. I may enter, if I have time. Thanks for posting this, Cana!

-Magpie-
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by -Magpie- » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:29 pm

Already got one. That stupid puppy, keeps on howling.. Lol! Anyways, I have millions to flood y'll with!

Zethra

Post by Zethra » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:38 pm

Thanks Faybrin, none of the glitches I've run into have cause a game crash. So, I don't need to worry about it then(unless I'm not understanding correctly).
Yeah, I have quite a few glitches that I've run into, and a few I remember. So, I'll definitely be sending some in!

Alpha Female
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Alpha Female » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:12 pm

Neat contest Cana! I'll be sure to try and participate. =D

RoarOriole

Post by RoarOriole » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:28 pm

For some reason I never seem to have any issues when I play the game. It's probably something I do or things that I do that cause it. I don't normally run into bugs...In fact I don't run into any bugs at all, really. XD

But if I run into any and figure out how it occurs, I'll definitely fill it out. IMO the first thought of bug fixing in my mind would be to discover "what" makes the glitches at the Slough Creek Den happen, but up until now it all seems to be spontaneous. :/

I'll send something in if I encounter it. XD Most likely won't though since I won't find anything.

Larka the white wolf
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Larka the white wolf » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:16 pm

Ok, quick question. I found the output logs, but... what do I do with them? Do I send the whole thing, or just part of it? Because I don't know which one is the glitch, but there is a lot of stuff there. Would I just email the whole file?

WQ Coordinator
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

Post by WQ Coordinator » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:25 pm

E-mail the entire file, please. Good question!
Thanks for the avatar, Silverness!

I am no longer the acting administrator of these forums, so please read the WolfQuest FAQ and Tips, Hints, and Help forums for answers to any questions you may have.

-Magpie-
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by -Magpie- » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:36 pm

Humm..what are the outlogs. I just have things that have .wolfquest in them..Lol

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:12 pm

I'll be participating - good luck to everyone!

Rikkuzilla
Name: Rikku

Post by Rikkuzilla » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:34 pm

Update on Information Regarding Crash files:

Spoke with LoCoLobo--and as far as he knows, crash dump files only occur for Windows users. He's not sure if they occur for Mac users, as he personally has not received any crash errors himself. So, if you are a Mac user and do experience this, please feel free to let myself or Cana know, so we can update the FAQ and contest first post accordingly.

And if things haven't changed since they days of Amethyst Mountain Deluxe, crash dump files (files ending in .dmp) should appear in Program Files\WolfQuest2\[crash folder].

Here's an old post from Steve (WileE):
WileE wrote:If your game crashes when you try to join an open game, please send us BOTH the Program Files\WolfQuest\Data\output_log.txt file AND the Program Files\WolfQuest\[crash folder] that the crash dialog says you will find "next to the game runtime."

As always, send your reports to bugs@wolfquest.org

We'd like to figure this out and fix it as soon as we can, since it was not something we saw in our testing.

Thanks,
Steve
And--should you find it somewhere else in the WQ folder, feel free to let us know. :]

savanna911

Post by savanna911 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:06 pm

well i had a bug it was so weird but :( i didn't know how to take a picture of it :cry: so i may have to say it instead my mate tries to get rid of my pups!

wolfquest is the best!!

Return to “News and Announcements Archive”