Decline in Norwegian wolves

Discuss wolf conservation and status.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Midnight Snow
Former WQ Moderator

Decline in Norwegian wolves

Post by Midnight Snow » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:07 pm

Thought I would share this as it's regarding my own homeland. Makes me sad, really.

Taken from the official website of the Norwegian Directorate for Nature Management.

The Norwegian Directorate for Nature Management wrote:Winter 2007/2008, a maximum of 15 pure-Norwegian wolves were registered, according to a temporary report from the National supervision program for predators (loosely translated). This is a clear decline compared to earlier years. This decline is explained, among other ways, with the fact that there has not been any offspring in Norway during the year of 2007.

In 2007, a total of 19 mating couples with offspring were registered in Scandinavia. One of these was from a territory at the border between Norway and Sweden. The 18 others were in pure-Swedish territories.

When it comes to the total count of wolves in Scandinavia, the temporary numbers show that there was a minimum of 147-173 wolves in Scandinavia last winter. Of these, 8-15 wolves were pure Norwegian, and 10-13 resided at the border between Norway and Sweden.

Compared to last year, this means a decline in the Norwegian wolf population at about 43 %.

Another explanation on the decline, is that illegal wolf hunting is an important source of death for wolves in Scandinavia. This is spoken about in a report from the wolf research project Skandulv (Scandwolf).

At the same time as the wolf population in Norway is going downwards, the Swedish population is in a noticeable growth. This means that the Scandinavian wolf population as a whole keeps on growing. Last year, said population increased by ca. 13 %.

The total number of matings in Scandinavia is assumed to increase further in 2008, and there is potential for more offspring at the Norwegian side as well as in Sweden and Finland.

http://www.dirnat.no/content.ap?thisId= ... language=0 (Norwegian; I have translated everything that was written on the matter)

-Midnight Snow
     You're not paranoid. You know you aren't. At least you weren't, until they started coming after you.

king1-7
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Re: Decline in Norwegian wolves

Post by king1-7 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:50 pm

That is disappointing. With the Norwegian wolf populations so low, you would hardly expect a 43% decline in their numbers...

You'd think that they'd be so well protected due to numbers that low that any decline, if any, would be minimal. :|
Rest in peace, sisters Lakota and Mackenzie

Avvie by me

Songdog
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Songdog » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:07 pm

I wonder if it also has anything to do with resources for the wolves. If there's not enough game, then the population won't grow. Could have something to do with construction and human growth?

Midnight Snow
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Midnight Snow » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:11 pm

king1-7 wrote:That is disappointing. With the Norwegian wolf populations so low, you would hardly expect a 43% decline in their numbers...

You'd think that they'd be so well protected due to numbers that low that any decline, if any, would be minimal. :|
Yeah, and that's just what I said in the email I sent to them after posting this. Honestly I think it would be if not more important, then at least just as important to protect the few Norwegian wolves than to protect the, what, 3000 American wolves in the Lower 48..

I forgot to say that the article was in fact posted on their site today, 2008-06-19, even though I heard parts of this on radio a day or two ago.

-Midnight Snow
     You're not paranoid. You know you aren't. At least you weren't, until they started coming after you.

king1-7
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by king1-7 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:19 pm

Okay, good to know that you agree with me. I was worried that you might be offended. ^^"

Avvie by me

Vida
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Vida » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:48 pm

D:! Not another decline in wolves. I hate it when there are laws to protect them and then people just kill them anyway D<
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” - Mahatma Gandhi

Site for writers: http://inkassociation.proboards76.com/

Midnight Snow
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Midnight Snow » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:14 pm

Songdog wrote:I wonder if it also has anything to do with resources for the wolves. If there's not enough game, then the population won't grow. Could have something to do with construction and human growth?
My guess is that your questions are answered "yes". Simply as that.

And King, I never saw anything offensive in your post. I've read it three times, and couldn't get myself to think of it as offensive. <.<

-Midnight Snow

WQ Project Coordinator
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

Post by WQ Project Coordinator » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:49 am

Here is another article (in English) on this topic:
http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local ... 493001.ece

It certainly seems daunting---remember though that if a country commits to saving them, it is possible. This would be a good issue for letter writing (which has been touched on in the Take Action forum).

wolves_forever
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by wolves_forever » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:34 am

Man, thats so sad, I wish there was something we could do to help. :(
My avatar is my sponsor wolf Siggi, and his friend Tunyan. http://www.wolfsanctuary.net/

If I had a wolf sanctuary this is what it would be called

H.O.W.L

Help
Our
wolves
Live

I will always love wolves, Forever

Midnight Snow
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Midnight Snow » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:19 am

WQ Project Coordinator wrote:Here is another article (in English) on this topic:
http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local ... 493001.ece

It certainly seems daunting---remember though that if a country commits to saving them, it is possible. This would be a good issue for letter writing (which has been touched on in the Take Action forum).
Thanks, it kinda filled out the article I translated myself. And if there's no action taken to restore the wolf population within reasonable time, they will indeed get another email from me. With fear for sounding way too biased, I must say that I can't really believe the statement from the person at the end of the article you posted, Michelle. It's downright scary!

And remember, Wolves_Forever, even though it's not your country, I think a letter from abroad would probably be better than one from within the nation; it shows global awareness and caring :) I'll edit here and give you the email address which I used.

EDIT: The address I used was the general address for the Norwegian Directorate for Nature Management, so I guess it's ok to use. I hope so, I already sent my letter there <.<
postmottak@dirnat.no

-Midnight Snow

king1-7
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by king1-7 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:02 am

mhhh...I'm no good at this letter-writing business, but here's what I have so far:

To the Norwegian Directorate for Nature Management:

Hello. My name is
*my name here*. I am a 15-year-old teenager living in Kansas. I am writing to you because I believe the current status of the Norwegian wolf is considerably below where it should be, and I believe that this problem could be fixed.

Firstly, why should you bother with saving the Norwegian wolf? Well, in my opinion, one reason they deserve to be saved is because of their importance to the environment. They contribute to biodiversity in Norway, and biodiversity is something that the environment just needs to have. Also, the Norwegian wolves contribute to the Scandinavian wolf population. If the Norwegian wolf population dies out through inaction on Norway's part, the Scandinavian wolf population will also be hurt. I think it should be Norway's responsibility to maintain their wolf population, especially since it is part of something greater.

If a better conservation program was developed for the Norwegian wolf, their numbers could start to increase. Whether a captive breeding program is introduced, or if you simply monitor the wolf populations more closely and very strictly enforce the protection level of the wolves, something needs to be done. The 43% decline in Norwegian wolf numbers in 2007/2008 is nothing less than frightening. If this pattern continues, the Norwegian wolf will become extinct in a matter of years. If Norway was planning on developing a better wolf conservation program, now is definitely the time. Please put something together while you can. I believe that conservation measures could be taken to halt this dramatic decline, and even turn it around.

Sincerely,

*my name here*

Doesn't sound too bad, does it? :| I haven't sent it yet. Can you all help me make it sound more convincing?
Last edited by king1-7 on Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Avvie by me

Midnight Snow
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Midnight Snow » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:33 am

Definitely sounds better than mine. I tend to get carried off :oops:

I think your letter is very well written, and I see little to change on it. It's straight to the point, calm, and shows facts and posibilities. To me it looks like what I should've made mine xD

Although one thing I do realize: you state you're living in Kansas, but to really show how far away that actually is, I don't think it would hurt to add "in the USA", or something along that line. That way, they can't get away from the fact that people from far abroad are concerned. And if that's not a reason to start thinking of doing something, then I don't know.

Heh, your letter impresses me, King. I really appreciate it ^^

-Midnight Snow

king1-7
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by king1-7 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:55 am

Wow, thanks a bunch! ^^" I'll go ahead and add that I live in the U.S.A. Thanks for the tip. :mrgreen:

Avvie by me

Midnight Snow
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Midnight Snow » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:51 pm

king1-7 wrote:Wow, thanks a bunch! ^^" I'll go ahead and add that I live in the U.S.A. Thanks for the tip. :mrgreen:
I'm the one who should thank you, King. ^^ But better not to get too far off topic here, eh?

-Midnight Snow

king1-7
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by king1-7 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:24 pm

Hey, I got a reply.
"Your request has been registered, and assigned the journal number *insert number here*. We ask that you present this as a reference number at any future contact with the Directorate for Nature Management regarding this matter."
I didn't know if I should've posted the number or not, but I edited it out just in case. I don't really like the "Opinion Noted" style of the reply, but at least it's something.

Avvie by me

Return to “Wolf Conservation”