Discuss wolf conservation and status.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Wolves no longer endangered in Wyoming

Post by Koa » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:23 pm

Hey everyone!
Thought I'd bring you all an update on the wolf situation in Wyoming. As the title states, they indeed have lifted the protection for wolves and will allow wolves to now be shot. Personally, I do not mind the lift of protection. Given that the exact same wolves are very abundant in other states in the United States, there is no need to act as if they are "endangered" or will go extinct anytime soon, and I feel that protecting the gray wolves here in the northern states sends the wrong message to the public in the long run.
Your thoughts?
(Please remember to keep all discussion civil. These kinds of threads are a privilege as they are indeed controversial but so far everyone has been "behaving" themselves for lack of a better term, so please keep up the good work and discussion. Thank you! :) )
By RUSSELL GOLDMAN (@GoldmanRussell)
Sept. 1, 2012

Federal and state officials are celebrating the successful return of once-endangered wolves to Wyoming -- by declaring open season on the animals.

Beginning Oct. 1, gray wolves will be removed from the rolls of the Endangered Species Act and classified as predators, allowing Wyoming hunters to shoot the animals on sight at any time, for any reason, in about 85 percent of the state.
Read the full article here: http://abcnews.go.com/US/wolves-wyoming-endangered-hunted/story?id=17130423#.UEkt-SJLN9Q
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

Floofysaur
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: Fwoof

Re: Wolves no longer endangered in Wyoming

Post by Floofysaur » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:28 pm

My uncle just happen to tell my mom and she told me, and I had to look into further details myself on Google. Frankly finding it easier than I thought and took a look into it.
As for wolves now allowed to be shot is one thing, though they may allow this to have plenty of big game for hunters out there.

Found out this info here:
http://www.ktvb.com/news/Feds-Wolves-ca ... 78476.html
Roses are gray,
Violets are blue,
I am a dog

major-threat
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by major-threat » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:40 am

Sept. 1, 2012

Beginning Oct. 1, gray wolves will be removed from the rolls of the Endangered Species Act and classified as predators, allowing Wyoming hunters to shoot the animals on sight at any time, for any reason, in about 85 percent of the state.
Honestly, I do support legal wolf hunting (within reason). It controls and regulates wolf population. However, allowing hunters complete freedom is something I don't agree with.

The wolves are already just more game for the hunters to practise their shooting with and brag about with their friends. But, this is the same with any other type of game in Wyoming. So while I don't think the elk hunting is effecting wolves much, I honestly don't think that allow wolf hunting will do a great damage to the population either.

I'm not saying that it's a brilliant idea, but I can't see many other alternatives to control the population. They are not an endangered animal, they aren't even threatened. So what's the point in actively trying to protect a population which needs regulation?

I don't, however, support a wolf massacre. By my previous statement, I'm referring to targeting a certain number of wolves through aerial hunting by park rangers.
. . . . . . . . . .. Adults deceive us with their senseless arguments:
. . . . . . .. The lecturers that appear in news programs -
. . . . . . . . . . . . . .. Criticise us with self-important attitudes.
https://bitly.com/SfvXE7 ~ ONE OK ROCK . . . .

SilverSparks12
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by SilverSparks12 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:29 pm

Thanks for the heads up. Glad to hear that wolves are making a come back to Wyoming. Since wolves are no longer endangered,I don't mind the protection lift either. It will be a good thing to ranchers who may be affected by wolves, or if wolf populations get out of hand.
But i do hate wolf hunting for sport, and wolf bounties, since these beautiful creatures play an important role in the wild.But it is still good to here this,that wolves are returning to their natural home.
~Larkstar of The Four Clans

MsGoldenMC4

Post by MsGoldenMC4 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:10 pm

Nice to hear that wolves are no longer endangered! But sad to see hunters shooting them :c But I wish that they were still protected.

Join the Battle
Carry the Flag   

#WeAreTheFifthLine

Av/Sig: LupinzPack/Emberflare

JOIN MY PACK: http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=80170

ArrowWolf005
Yearling
Yearling

Post by ArrowWolf005 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:40 am

major-threat wrote:
Sept. 1, 2012

Honestly, I do support legal wolf hunting (within reason). It controls and regulates wolf population. However, allowing hunters complete freedom is something I don't agree with.

The wolves are already just more game for the hunters to practise their shooting with and brag about with their friends. But, this is the same with any other type of game in Wyoming. So while I don't think the elk hunting is effecting wolves much, I honestly don't think that allow wolf hunting will do a great damage to the population either.

I'm not saying that it's a brilliant idea, but I can't see many other alternatives to control the population. They are not an endangered animal, they aren't even threatened. So what's the point in actively trying to protect a population which needs regulation?

I don't, however, support a wolf massacre. By my previous statement, I'm referring to targeting a certain number of wolves through aerial hunting by park rangers.
You and I basically say the same thing. Hunting is fine with me as long as they don't kill way too many for an unnescessary reason. It's actually a good thing they are no longer endaangered in Wyoming whether they are allowed to be shot or not. Wolves were probably not endangered for a long time before September, so that's why they're being shot now.
Arrow
Hunting with the pack for 2 years
Rumors
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=71954
Definition
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=72174

Return to “Wolf Conservation”