Tension rises with wolves in France

Discuss wolves. (News, sightings, conservation, status, etc.)

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Tension rises with wolves in France

Post by Koa » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:09 pm

The lightning re-conquest of France by the wolf has provoked a civil war within French Greens, pitting one of the country's most renowned campaigners against environmentalists, some of whom are demanding his ousting from the movement.

Wolves have been seen this summer for the first time since the 1920s in the sheep-rearing area in Lozère in the southern Auvergne, the home of Roquefort cheese.

José Bové , sheep farmer-turned-environmental campaigner, has called publicly for the wolves to be shot, provoking protest from other French Greens, who point out that the grey wolf is a protected by European law. One wildlife protection group has filed a legal complaint against Mr Bové for "inciting the destruction of an endangered species".
Read more: http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/nature/rebirth-of-the-wolf-sees-french-greens-at-each-others-throats-8008873.html

Edme1
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Re: Tension rises with wolves in France

Post by Edme1 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:10 pm

Interesting article here. I'm not quite sure where I stand on the subject. If the wolves are protected by law, then getting rid of them would obviously be highly discouraged, but farmers depend on their sheep, not these wolves. Nobody who is involved with the farming and agricultural aspect would have good words to say about these wolves.
Bustin' makes me feel good~

"Advance or a8scond!"

♋ ♈ ♉ ♊ ♌ ♍ ♎ ♏ ♐ ♑ ♒ ♓

http://blueranyk.deviantart.com/
Av from Homestuck

Wonderland Summer
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Wonderland Summer » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:11 pm

Well, honestly I do not care about the fluffy little sheep. That guy does not have rights to hurt the wolves.
¨¨
|¨ Wonderland Summer ¨|
It's all fun and games
till somebody loses their
|..╚═ MIND ═╝..|
¨¨
Signature - Raven
Lyrics- Taylor Swift's Wonderland

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:50 pm

CocoaMoon wrote:Well, honestly I do not care about the fluffy little sheep. That guy does not have rights to hurt the wolves.
He has the right to hurt them - they are his livelihood. You may not care, but he does, and he has a right to.
Edme1 wrote:Interesting article here. I'm not quite sure where I stand on the subject. If the wolves are protected by law, then getting rid of them would obviously be highly discouraged, but farmers depend on their sheep, not these wolves. Nobody who is involved with the farming and agricultural aspect would have good words to say about these wolves.
They do have a code in place as the article mentioned that allows licensed individuals and government officials to shoot wolves in essence, which is good. I just hope the farmers receive some sort of compensation.

Wonderland Summer
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Wonderland Summer » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:48 pm

man, he is mean. If i was a police, i would send him on his way!
¨¨
|¨ Wonderland Summer ¨|
It's all fun and games
till somebody loses their
|..╚═ MIND ═╝..|
¨¨
Signature - Raven
Lyrics- Taylor Swift's Wonderland

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:52 pm

CocoaMoon wrote:man, he is mean. If i was a police, i would send him on his way!
As I previously mentioned, both licensed individuals and government officials are allowed to shoot wolves...

Anyway, about to post a follow-up article regarding the recent authorization to shoot the two wolves in France.

major-threat
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by major-threat » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:31 am

CocoaMoon wrote:man, he is mean. If i was a police, i would send him on his way!
I don't think legally shooting a wolf capable of destroying their only means of money is a reason for locking someone up.

While sheep may not be in as small numbers as wolves, this, by no means, indicates that wolves are endangered. If a wolf tried to eat my coursework papers, I'd shoot it too. Well... That's a bit extreme - but it's near the same principle.

On another note, it's good to hear that some farmers are not primarily blaming the threat of their farms on the wolves and that they understand the other dangers that are contributing.
. . . . . . . . . .. Adults deceive us with their senseless arguments:
. . . . . . .. The lecturers that appear in news programs -
. . . . . . . . . . . . . .. Criticise us with self-important attitudes.
https://bitly.com/SfvXE7 ~ ONE OK ROCK . . . .