Wolf debates heat up

Discuss wolf conservation and status.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Wolf debates heat up

Post by Koa » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:55 pm

Thought I'd share this with you as it points out both "extremes" in regards to wolf hunting. Consider where you stand. Please keep all discussion civil. This board hasn't had any problems in awhile so I feel comfortable sharing this.

Source: (Please read more)
http://www.greatfallstribune.com/article/20120715/OPINION/207150307/Wolf-debate-spurs-howling-all-sides?odyssey=nav%7Chead&gcheck=1&nclick_check=1
"There are heck of a lot of people who hate wolves or love wolves," Montana Fish Wildlife & Parks Commission Chairman Bob Ream said. "We do take public input seriously. This is a tough issue. This is not easy. It has become so polarized."

That is the best attempt we've heard to sum up the sides weighing in as FWP worked to establish new wolf hunting rules for Montana.

Thursday the Montana wildlife commissioners approved new wolf hunting rules.

This year, most quotas will be lifted, the season will be expanded and trappers can now take up to three wolves each.

The wolf debate is harsh.

Some demonize the packs as ruthless sport hunters that destroy game and livestock herds ruthlessly.

Others romanticize the wild canines as a species critical to the ecosystem and, because they were once endangered, in need of protection that bans any hunting at all.

We applaud the commission for finding a good balance.

Last winter, hunters in Montana killed 166 wolves amid a 220-animal quota, and the population rose at the end of 2011 by 15 percent to at least 653 wolves. That led to the vote for a more liberal hunting season.

Wildlife managers project the new rules will take the state to fewer than 600 wolves and possibly below 500.

Every wolf harvested must be reported within 24 hours. FWP monitors all harvests closely. If too many animals are killed, the FWP has authority to close the season.

Given last year's hunt, it seems highly unlikely. Wolves are notoriously difficult to hunt.

Understandably, one of the deepest divisions in this year's wolf hunt debate is whether or not to allow trapping of the animals in Montana, which is already allowed in Idaho.

Proponents say trapping is a necessary adjustment to catch a wily predator.

"We need to include tools that help to keep this population in check," said Keith Kubista, president of Montana Sportsmen for Fish & Wildlife.

Others argued trapping is inhumane and say traps can inadvertently capture and harm other animals, including pets.

"I will be honest: If my dog gets in a trap we are going to have an issue. It is not right. It is barbaric," wolf advocate Kim Bean told the commissioners.
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

Sintact

Re: Wolf debates heat up

Post by Sintact » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:36 pm

Interesting... first of all I don't understand why people like hunting wild animals if they are not a plague. It would be like "hey, there are too many humans, we should open the hunting season for parasites (idk haha)". Still...

What's your stand in this subject, Koa?

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:18 pm

Sintact wrote:Interesting... first of all I don't understand why people like hunting wild animals if they are not a plague. It would be like "hey, there are too many humans, we should open the hunting season for parasites (idk haha)". Still...

What's your stand in this subject, Koa?
Frankly animals need to be managed so long as we humans walk this earth. We cannot undo whatever "damage" we've already done but I believe that educated and safe management of all wild animals is absolutely necessary. If this means hunting, so be it. Most hunting is firstly regulated and not as drastic to the population as most people think when its managed properly.

In the case of the wolf, it is very necessary to control and manage its population. We are dealing with an animal that was firstly re-introduced to an ecosystem it hadn't seen in awhile (See "Yellowstone's Demise" - good and informative read on the nehative impacts) which has really caused more problems than pros.

If everyone is so dead set on keeping the gray wolf well maintained in the United States, the general public must first acknowledge (a hunting is necessary for most animals for proper management (b wolves in the United States are not endangered (Mexican gray subspecies is an exception, though the red wolf frankly is too far gone into hybridization with coyotes for anyone to waste more funding protecting it) and (c overall wolves will not be going extinct in the United States anytime soon.
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

WolvesOfTheSeas
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by WolvesOfTheSeas » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:52 am

I dont know if this sad reporting, But i think it sad though. But thanks for sharing^^
Thanks Wolf Thief for the avvie! I love it! Ill be stalking you c:

STAY OUT MY MIRROR, STAY OUT OF MY WAY

Miku Hatsune
Pup
Pup

Post by Miku Hatsune » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:07 am

While I believe that animals should not be hunted for sport, population hunting is acceptable by me. Not only would taking out some of the wolves help the entire ecosystem, but would even help the wolves a bit. I suppose less wolves = more prey, though, so if they could just keep the wolf population down to a reasonable level so that the deer/elk/whatever don't mess up the ecosystem, but you don't have wolves killing them all the then moving on to farmers livestock.

But, if the wolves are taking out the farmers livestock already, well, that's another story! If that is the case then they should be controlled right away.
ι тσσк α киιfє αи∂ ¢υт συт нєя єує
ι тσσк ιт нσмє αи∂ ωαт¢нє∂ ιт
ωιтнєя αи∂ ∂ιє
ѕнє'ѕ ℓυ¢ку тнαт ι ∂ι∂и'т ѕℓιρ нєя α ѕмιℓє
иσw ѕнє ѕℓєєρѕ ωιтн єує σρєи
тнαтѕ тнє ρяι¢є ѕнє ραι∂...
icon by jewelz

Waxing_Moon
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Waxing_Moon » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:03 pm

I completely agree with Miku.

I don't enjoy hunting for sport or ever plan to do so in my life, but if someone else is doing it under legal pretenses and it is actually helping maintain balance of the modern world's ecosystem then ,unless the way they are hunting it barbaric, I believe then should be allowed to. I gather from this post that the FWP is making sure that the amount of hunting is in the best interests of the wolf and human population. The one argument I would make it that all kills should be by gun or other swift death not trap were the wolf could be wounded trapped in the forest for hours.

~Kaza

Return to “Wolf Conservation”