Birth of wolf pups in Highland Wildlife Park (Scotland)

Discuss wolves. (News, sightings, conservation, status, etc.)

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Birth of wolf pups in Highland Wildlife Park (Scotland)

Post by Koa » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:33 pm

European Wolf Pups Born in Highland Wildlife Park’s New Enclosure
Published On
July 12, 2012 at 1:15 pm
By Dawn M. Smith

Highland Wildlife Park in Scotland recently announced the birth of five wolf pups; the first European wolves born in Scotland since the species was extirpated, or locally extinct, in the late 1700s.

In an interview with Decoded Science, the park’s Animal Collection Manager, Douglas Richardson, talked about what was needed for the wolves to successfully raise this historic litter.
New Enclosure Encourages Wolves to Reproduce

Ironically the new enclosure is not larger than the old one; instead it is more wooded and complex, providing more privacy and environmental enrichment for the wolves.

Restricting visitor and vehicle access around the enclosure also allowed the wolves to escape from human noise and activity, both of which have been shown to decrease resting time in wolves in captivity, an indication of stress.

Adding further complexity to the wolf enclosure, there are three covered structures in the exhibit area and three more off-exhibit, for the wolves to use as den sites. Wolves in the wild commonly create multiple dens, and pups are moved from den to den. Having so many choices helps the wolves settle in, and the pair have now begun digging their own dens, a further indication that the adults are settling into their new home.
Read more at :
http://decodedscience.com/highland-wild ... tter/15903

Edme1
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Re: Birth of wolf pups in Highland Wildlife Park (Scotland)

Post by Edme1 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:08 pm

Ooh, that's good that there are more wolves in the world! I hope their wolves (and others in wildlife parks, reserves, and zoos) continue to reproduce and help the wolf population grow. Thanks for sharing!
Bustin' makes me feel good~

"Advance or a8scond!"

♋ ♈ ♉ ♊ ♌ ♍ ♎ ♏ ♐ ♑ ♒ ♓

http://blueranyk.deviantart.com/
Av from Homestuck

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:14 pm

Edme1 wrote:Ooh, that's good that there are more wolves in the world! I hope their wolves (and others in wildlife parks, reserves, and zoos) continue to reproduce and help the wolf population grow. Thanks for sharing!
Ah, but not everyone is so welcoming and in most cases I do not blame them. While restoring wolves to their former areas (though these are currently captive) is all well and good, I hope no one gets any ideas and starts calling these wolves a new species down the road... because they aren't. With people today and in the future, you never know.:roll:

I'm worried that if they ever do release eventual wolves into Scotland tgat it will have an invasive impact on the people and the ecosystem.

Alfachick13
Pup
Pup

Post by Alfachick13 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:49 am

Its good that the wolfs are going back to there old habitats but i wish human interferce will stop hurting these beautiful creatures
No matter how hard you try you can still fail but the real message is to not give up but to learn from your mistakes.
-Luna

skullet
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Location: training for a war in my room and preparing to make prepoations

Post by skullet » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:12 pm

OMG! wolf pups so totally awsome i love wolf pups but how did the she-wolf have those rare kind of pups that must be one lucky litter!!
XD
Last edited by valkea on Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removing excessive punctuation
I am the inventor of the night i am what even death is afraid of i am a fire ball set to destory they call me Scar Fire

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:24 pm

skullet wrote:wowsers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wolf pups so totally awsome i love wolf pups but how did the she-wolf have those rare kind of pups that must be one lucky litter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
XD
They're not "rare wolves." They simply do not exist in the wild in Scotland. They exist elsewhere commonly, though. But not in Scotland.

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Rowan

Post by valkea » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:32 pm

skullet, please avoid using excessive punctuation (even if you're excited, which you clearly are XD), as it's considered spam.
má shínim seal uaire faoi chrann a dhéanamh só
o cad é sin don te sin nach mbaineann sin dó?

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Post by BlackWarrior » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:15 pm

This is wonderful news! Hopefully the pups will all grow to be healthy and successful. I would encourage the Park to release the wolves eventually into the wild, but as you brought up previously Koa, their reintroduction may cause problems within the area. Seeing as it has adapted to ways without wolves, bringing them back may cause problems for humans settled there and animals that are used to the absence of wolves. Then again, Yellowstone proved successful with the reintroduction of wolves; although it still greatly impacted the ecosystem.
Not all who w a n d e r are l o s t

Community Moderator ( April 2012 – July 2015 )
WQ Report Team ( 2012 – 2013 )
User of the Month ( December 2011 )

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:40 am

BlackWarrior wrote:This is wonderful news! Hopefully the pups will all grow to be healthy and successful. I would encourage the Park to release the wolves eventually into the wild, but as you brought up previously Koa, their reintroduction may cause problems within the area. Seeing as it has adapted to ways without wolves, bringing them back may cause problems for humans settled there and animals that are used to the absence of wolves. Then again, Yellowstone proved successful with the reintroduction of wolves; although it still greatly impacted the ecosystem.
I personally do not think they should be released into the wild. I would recommend that they preserve what they have as best as they can, rather than re-introducing an animal that has not been around for quite some time. And as I mentioned earlier, they may even consider it something newly unique or still unique (i.e., Yellowstone's situation) just because it's been re-introduced to an area it was removed from awhile ago, which isn't really the case and it would be best to avoid any confusion and problems as much as possible.