Struggles still apparent for Mexican grays

Discuss wolves. (News, sightings, conservation, status, etc.)

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Struggles still apparent for Mexican grays

Post by Koa » Sun May 20, 2012 7:41 pm

Been awfully quiet since I ran for the hills. Shame. x: Start discussin' or...blargh.
The Mexican gray wolf still struggles to survive in the American southwest
By Ezra Rodriguez on May 3, 2012
The Mexican gray wolf is a subspecies of the Gray Wolf. Mexican wolf at the El Paso Zoo. (Ezra Rodriguez/Borderzine.com)

The Mexican gray wolf is a subspecies of the Gray Wolf. Mexican wolf at the El Paso Zoo. (Ezra Rodriguez/Borderzine.com)

EL PASO – After almost 14 years of effort to reintroduce the Mexican gray wolf into the American southwest, less than 60 lobos roam today in the 4 million acre territory along the Arizona-New Mexico line.

It seems that life is not getting any easier for the lobo. In 1970, predator control programs almost drove the wolves into extinction until efforts to reintroduce them started in 1998.

Currently in New Mexico and Arizona only 58 Mexican wolves survive, according to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

In 1998 wildlife officials estimated that by 2006 the wolf population would have reached 100 in the region. Federal trapping and shooting and illegal killings have contributed to keeping the numbers of Mexican gray wolves low.

Even though it is rare to encounter one of these creatures in the wild because of their small numbers, humans are the main threat to their existence.
Read more at: http://borderzine.com/2012/05/the-mexican-gray-wolf-still-struggles-to-survive-in-the-american-southwest/

Unfortunately, the " both sides must come to an agreement" seems unlikely. If they haven't already for all this time most likely they never will. People are people and they'll have their sides, just as some of the public opposes gray wolf coddling and overprotection and some don't. [And then there's the middle but everyone seems to forget about it. Remember folks, the middle is the safest place. If you disagree, we can agree to disagree, but considering both ends tend to be the extremist side of things I'd say I am right.] The problem here is that the Mexican gray wolf population is so low there's not very much time for that, and people are tending to put their focus and time more towards the Mexican gray's northern counterparts than anything. [where it doesn't need to belong at this moment.]

sSilvers
Yearling
Yearling

Re: Struggles still apparent for Mexican grays

Post by sSilvers » Wed May 23, 2012 2:38 pm

That is certainly sad they still struggle, but maybe one day they will popular like the Greys. C:
.//...'.'.'.'..(¨*.¸(¨*.¸´.¸ тђє คfricคɲ Stคrs Pคςƙ ¸.´¸.*¨) ¸.*¨)
.//...'.///////////.//////////'.'.'..Celebrating 2 years
...........Lithium, proud to be a Kuangalia of the African Stars Pack!
.//.......'.'.'.'..Come join the largest pack on WolfQuest today!:
..../....//.http://wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45816
/////////////////////////////////////Icon By Kivia

WolvesOfTheSeas
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by WolvesOfTheSeas » Mon May 28, 2012 3:15 pm

It So sad! I hope the Mexican grays Wolves reach there population!

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Mon May 28, 2012 7:03 pm

WolvesOfTheSeas wrote:It So sad! I hope the Mexican grays Wolves reach there population!
sSilvers wrote:That is certainly sad they still struggle, but maybe one day they will popular like the Greys. C:
It's unlikely given that [let's face it] the two political/environmentalist sides will probably never reach an agreement or set way on how to handle this situation.

WolvesOfTheSeas
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by WolvesOfTheSeas » Thu May 31, 2012 7:50 pm

So do you mean the people are trying to help them?

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:10 pm

WolvesOfTheSeas wrote:So do you mean the people are trying to help them?
People are trying to help them but it's not as easy as people think... there's a lot of politics involved and then you have the livelihood of others threatened in essence with wolves in general, not just Mexican grays. Unfortunately, there's also people who are still focused on helping gray wolves/gripe about them not being protected when in reality the gray wolves need no protection at all.

WolvesOfTheSeas
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by WolvesOfTheSeas » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:06 pm

True. But today people have something to make wolves sleep for a hour, and but a coller with a number to tell how much, different wolves rgere are..
Thanks Wolf Thief for the avvie! I love it! Ill be stalking you c:

STAY OUT MY MIRROR, STAY OUT OF MY WAY

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:53 pm

WolvesOfTheSeas wrote:True. But today people have something to make wolves sleep for a hour, and but a coller with a number to tell how much, different wolves rgere are..
What do you mean? That helps track the population (or parts of it, rather) but that doesn't eliminate excess animals.

WolvesOfTheSeas
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by WolvesOfTheSeas » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:56 pm

Ya to track how many wolves they have in total

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:49 pm

Radio collars help keep track of said animals, but they won't directly help prevent issues with the population. For example, say you have too many gray wolves in an area. If they all have radio collars, that's great, but if there's no one to keep their numbers down, the radio collar only tracks them instead of eliminating the problem like a gun would. It helps where show where the wolves are, but you can't just manage the issues that come with a wolf population with just a radio collar or relocation methods. Relocation methods are expensive and ineffective... if an animal wants to move around, it will move around, and chances are it will just end up back in trouble.

WolvesOfTheSeas
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by WolvesOfTheSeas » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:41 pm

Koa wrote:Radio collars help keep track of said animals, but they won't directly help prevent issues with the population. For example, say you have too many gray wolves in an area. If they all have radio collars, that's great, but if there's no one to keep their numbers down, the radio collar only tracks them instead of eliminating the problem like a gun would. It helps where show where the wolves are, but you can't just manage the issues that come with a wolf population with just a radio collar or relocation methods. Relocation methods are expensive and ineffective... if an animal wants to move around, it will move around, and chances are it will just end up back in trouble.
Ya lol i was trying to say, but very interesting, well i had nice chat with u Koa^^. Thank you