Urge to Restart Mexican Wolf Releases Into Wild

Discuss wolf conservation and status.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Urge to Restart Mexican Wolf Releases Into Wild

Post by Koa » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:07 pm

SILVER CITY, N.M.— On the 14th anniversary of the reintroduction of endangered Mexican gray wolves to the wild in the Southwest, 30 conservation organizations, scientists, and animal-protection and sportsmen groups today urged Interior Secretary Ken Salazar to release Mexican wolves from the captive-breeding program into the wild this year since no release has occurred since 2008. The letter also asks Salazar to allow the release of captive-bred wolves to New Mexico, which is currently prohibited.

Both measures would help stop the loss of genetic diversity among Mexican wolves in the wild, increasing the chance that this unique but highly vulnerable gray wolf subspecies may recover. Only 58 wolves, including just six breeding pairs, were counted in the wild in January 2012. The letter to Salazar documents that inbreeding may be lowering the number of pups that are born and survive.
For the full article, go here: http://www.biologicaldiversity.org/news ... -2012.html
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

Tita
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Re: Urge to Restart Mexican Wolf Releases Into Wild

Post by Tita » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:35 pm

I find this rather sad. I don't think it would be a bad thing to release more Mexican wolves into the wild, and in my opinion, it's something that should be allowed - it would certainly help the population. I do hope the Fish and Wildlife Service step in.
Thanks for sharing, Koa.
Go away, evil Mr. Scissors!

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:47 pm

Tita wrote:I find this rather sad. I don't think it would be a bad thing to release more Mexican wolves into the wild, and in my opinion, it's something that should be allowed - it would certainly help the population. I do hope the Fish and Wildlife Service step in.
Thanks for sharing, Koa.
Mexican wolves haven't experienced as much luck as their gray counterparts...it's a shame because these guys are the ones that actually need both luck and help.

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Post by BlackWarrior » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:17 am

I'm actually quite worried about the Mexican Wolves..
In order for their species to successfully breed, repopulate, and survive, there must be a good and stable amount of Genetic Diversity within the species. Without it, one change and the whole species could be wiped out all over again. The more variety in genetics, the better chance they have of surviving any natural or artificial changes.

Plus, it appears that these wolves have a huge effect in the whole ecosystem. So their disappearance would cause a massive and destructive ripple-effect.

I hope something is done, and a release into the wild will be done soon enough. These wolves are in desperate need of help..

Thanks for sharing this though Koa!
Not all who w a n d e r are l o s t

Community Moderator ( April 2012 – July 2015 )
WQ Report Team ( 2012 – 2013 )
User of the Month ( December 2011 )

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Re: Urge to Restart Mexican squirrel Releases Into Wild

Post by Koa » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:25 am

BlackWarrior wrote:I'm actually quite worried about the Mexican squirrels..
In order for their species to successfully breed, repopulate, and survive, there must be a good and stable amount of Genetic Diversity within the species. Without it, one change and the whole species could be wiped out all over again. The more variety in genetics, the better chance they have of surviving any natural or artificial changes.

Plus, it appears that these squirrels have a huge effect in the whole ecosystem. So their disappearance would cause a massive and destructive ripple-effect.

I hope something is done, and a release into the wild will be done soon enough. These squirrels are in desperate need of help..

Thanks for sharing this though Koa!
While Mexican wolves can help in a sense, there have been areas where wolves (in general) have been absent for awhile and the ecosystem is doing alright. Wolves can be both helpful and harmful, but with Mexican wolves, I still think they need to release some into the wild, even though there are issues with ranchers and the like. Compared to gray wolves, they are in dire need of help versus their counterparts who don't really need any at this point. (but alas, some still believe they do.)

Tita
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Tita » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:07 pm

Honestly, I am rather disgusted with the whole situation. It is these people's responsibility, the government, to protect the Mexican gray wolves. They have yet to take action - a failure on their part. I am worried for these wolves' future, and their release may depend on it. I agree with Koa.
Go away, evil Mr. Scissors!

Dark Hawk
Pup
Pup

Post by Dark Hawk » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:24 am

I agree with all of your statements. Although wolves could "cause problems" with ranchers they still deserve to be released into the wild.
Tita wrote:Honestly, I am rather disgusted with the whole situation. It is these people's responsibility, the government, to protect the Mexican gray wolves. They have yet to take action - a failure on their part. I am worried for these wolves' future, and their release may depend on it. I agree with Koa.
Couldn't agree more with you there. It is the governments responsibility to ensure the Mexican wolves are safe. I really am worried about the Mexican wolves and hope something is done to help them, thanks for sharing this Koa.
I wont lie
I won't sin
Maybe I don't wanna go...

pengo123
Pup
Pup

Post by pengo123 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:55 am

It is the goverments responsibilaty to make sure mexican wolves are safe TOTALLY AGREE
Wolflove

Return to “Wolf Conservation”