"Wildlife officials hope to bring wolf population down"

Discuss wolves. (News, sightings, conservation, status, etc.)

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

"Wildlife officials hope to bring wolf population down"

Post by Koa » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:28 pm

Considering the thread regarding de-listing has gone well, I figured I would post an update regarding the wolf situation in Idaho. Please keep all discussion civil and be mindful of other's opinions.
BOISE, Idaho (AP) - Idaho wildlife managers are increasing bag limits, expanding trapping opportunities and extending the public hunting season in an attempt to bring down wolf populations across the state.

The Idaho Fish and Game Commission approved the modifications Thursday to the state's 2012 wolf hunting rules. The changes will go into effect when the season opens later this year.
Full article: http://www.klewtv.com/news/local/Wildlife-officials-hope-to-bring-wolf-population-down-143873776.html

Croix
Former WQ Moderator

Re: "Wildlife officials hope to bring wolf population down"

Post by Croix » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:56 pm

Interesting read, Koa. :)

Personally, if wolves are clearly causing a problem within an ecosystem, like in this case, hunting is a beneficial thing. So I am all for increasing bag limits! Hopefully this will give the elk's population a chance to increase as well.

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:09 pm

Croix wrote:Interesting read, Koa. :)

Personally, if wolves are clearly causing a problem within an ecosystem, like in this case, hunting is a beneficial thing. So I am all for increasing bag limits! Hopefully this will give the elk's population a chance to increase as well.
Gray wolves over the United States in general have been near a relative stable population for awhile now; it was time for a cutback.

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Post by BlackWarrior » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:27 pm

For some, this may seem like bad news, although I must agree with you both. Seeing that the wolf populations have reached a stable rate, and almost a climax in their numbers, extending the hunting season is more beneficial for the whole ecosystem all-in-all.
This should hopefully allow the elk to have a chance to bring their numbers up, all while keeping the wolves at bay.
Thanks for sharing the news Koa!
Not all who w a n d e r are l o s t

Community Moderator ( April 2012 – July 2015 )
WQ Report Team ( 2012 – 2013 )
User of the Month ( December 2011 )

Dark Hawk
Pup
Pup

Post by Dark Hawk » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:19 pm

I do like wolves but I can't deny that I agree with all three of you. Hunting is okay in some situations and I think this is okay. The elk deserve a chance to grow in population anyways.. =D

Thanks for sharing this Koa!
I wont lie
I won't sin
Maybe I don't wanna go...