Re: Ways to SAFELY introduce wolves

Post by WolvesOfTheSeas » Tue May 08, 2012 4:42 pm

Oh Thank you Koa ^^ And thanks for telling me from your quote

Sirga_03
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Sirga_03 » Tue May 15, 2012 10:53 am

I'd really like to join your discussion :)

I think you shouldn't worry about the wolves if you reintroduce them, wolves are very adaptable and could live all over the world, the real impediment for the reintroducing of wolves are the humans.
Most people don't want the wolves to live in their habitat again, especially the farmers. (Btw I'm from Germany and live in a rural area.) They worry about their cattle. To reintroduce the wolves, you have to find ways to get those people to live with the wolves, otherwise it wouldn't go well. The farmers would begin to kill off the wolves to defend their cattle and the situation would became the same as in recent decades, when the wolf was almost completely exterminated in Germany.
So what do I suggest? There are not only farmers who don't welcome the reintroducing of wolves. Many people are still believing in the old myths about the 'wicked wolf' and are scared about their children or lives. Those people are naturally against the wolf, too, and would not support the reintroducing.
What we have to do, is to clarify these myths and show the people how useful and senseful the reintroducing of the wolf is. The game WolfQuest is such an example I think, because it shows especially the young adults the other side of wolves, the 'nice side', their social live.
But not only the young people have to be the target audience for this 'demystification' of the wolves. You have to show also ways for the farmers how they could protect their cattle against the wolves, for example with electric fences.
I think there are much ways to safely introduce wolves in our homelands. We humans only have to learn to live with the wolf again.
Related to my homeland, Germany, this concept of clarification has worked in a few areas, especially in Saxonia where the wolves immigrated from Poland. (Look here: http://www.nabu.de/wolf/dt_wtpo_pop_gross.jpg)

(I'm sorry if I rambled on this topic too much, I mostly related on the situation of wolves in Germany, but you can also transfer it to other lands :) But I hope I could make a valuable contribution to your discussion)

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Fri May 18, 2012 7:02 pm

Sirga_03 wrote:I'd really like to join your discussion :)

I think you shouldn't worry about the wolves if you reintroduce them, wolves are very adaptable and could live all over the world, the real impediment for the reintroducing of wolves are the humans.
Most people don't want the wolves to live in their habitat again, especially the farmers. (Btw I'm from Germany and live in a rural area.) They worry about their cattle. To reintroduce the wolves, you have to find ways to get those people to live with the wolves, otherwise it wouldn't go well. The farmers would begin to kill off the wolves to defend their cattle and the situation would became the same as in recent decades, when the wolf was almost completely exterminated in Germany.
So what do I suggest? There are not only farmers who don't welcome the reintroducing of wolves. Many people are still believing in the old myths about the 'wicked wolf' and are scared about their children or lives. Those people are naturally against the wolf, too, and would not support the reintroducing.
What we have to do, is to clarify these myths and show the people how useful and senseful the reintroducing of the wolf is. The game WolfQuest is such an example I think, because it shows especially the young adults the other side of wolves, the 'nice side', their social live.
But not only the young people have to be the target audience for this 'demystification' of the wolves. You have to show also ways for the farmers how they could protect their cattle against the wolves, for example with electric fences.
I think there are much ways to safely introduce wolves in our homelands. We humans only have to learn to live with the wolf again.
Related to my homeland, Germany, this concept of clarification has worked in a few areas, especially in Saxonia where the wolves immigrated from Poland. (Look here: http://www.nabu.de/wolf/dt_wtpo_pop_gross.jpg)

(I'm sorry if I rambled on this topic too much, I mostly related on the situation of wolves in Germany, but you can also transfer it to other lands :) But I hope I could make a valuable contribution to your discussion)
The problem is the people you have to "get to live with wolves" depend on their livestock and the loss of their livestock could be a true upset to their income. However, a few wolves being shot because of their predation on livestock won't deplete the population and "get it back to previous decades" - it's not that much of a "mass-killing" type of thing as people make it out to be. Wolves are wolves - they are predators and need to be treated as such.
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

6Silverfire6
Pup
Pup

Post by 6Silverfire6 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:44 pm

Well im not sure about the idea of introducing them, but i do know a possible way that would prevent them from killing too much livestock. I was watching this thing on National Geographic i think, or one of those types of channels and i was watching this thing called A Man Among Wolves. It talked about on there how wolves were notorious livestock killers, but anyways the guy came up with a way so that ranchers and wolves can live more harmoniously together! All they would have to do is get recording of wolf howls and barks and cries, the howls that they use to make their territory known, and play it probably pretty loud on a radio or something every day. Take a dish thing of some sort (something that looks like the satellite dish that would be on the side of your house) and have it facing towards the speakers, then tilt it in different directions to make the howling bounce in to different areas. This way the real wolves will think that the ranch is another pack's territory and wont hopefully venture on to it much. Other ways can be very expensive or inefficient sometimes, so this is a way that might work pretty well, in a more peaceful way. Thank yooouuuuu wolf guy who came up with this idea! (i cant remember his name lol) I don't know this was just an idea that could possibly calm the ranchers slightly, it is probably somewhere on YouTube if i'm not explaining well and you want to get better explanation. I hope this helped slightly!

P.S. I forgot to mention about wolves in Utah, i wanted to make a comment on that, personally i think that would be incredibly awesome because then they would be closer to Colorado! :) I really want wolfies back in one of their old homes :)

elk hunting grounds
Pup
Pup

Post by elk hunting grounds » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:46 pm

Thanks for the input everybody! :)

elk hunting grounds
Pup
Pup

Post by elk hunting grounds » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:49 pm

6Silverfire6 wrote:Well im not sure about the idea of introducing them, but i do know a possible way that would prevent them from killing too much livestock. I was watching this thing on National Geographic i think, or one of those types of channels and i was watching this thing called A Man Among Wolves. It talked about on there how wolves were notorious livestock killers, but anyways the guy came up with a way so that ranchers and wolves can live more harmoniously together! All they would have to do is get recording of wolf howls and barks and cries, the howls that they use to make their territory known, and play it probably pretty loud on a radio or something every day. Take a dish thing of some sort (something that looks like the satellite dish that would be on the side of your house) and have it facing towards the speakers, then tilt it in different directions to make the howling bounce in to different areas. This way the real wolves will think that the ranch is another pack's territory and wont hopefully venture on to it much. Other ways can be very expensive or inefficient sometimes, so this is a way that might work pretty well, in a more peaceful way. Thank yooouuuuu wolf guy who came up with this idea! (i cant remember his name lol) I don't know this was just an idea that could possibly calm the ranchers slightly, it is probably somewhere on YouTube if i'm not explaining well and you want to get better explanation. I hope this helped slightly!

P.S. I forgot to mention about wolves in Utah, i wanted to make a comment on that, personally i think that would be incredibly awesome because then they would be closer to Colorado! :) I really want wolfies back in one of their old homes :)
Yes this is a VERY good suggestion, thank you so much!

6Silverfire6
Pup
Pup

Post by 6Silverfire6 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:50 pm

Oh your welcome :) youtube is a very useful thing lol i learn a lot on there about... well whatever i want! I had found it on there! I am definatly glad i ran into that on nat geo :)

Return to “Wolf Conservation”