Ways to SAFELY introduce wolves

Discuss wolves. (News, sightings, conservation, status, etc.)

Moderators: Isela, Koa

elk hunting grounds
Pup
Pup

Ways to SAFELY introduce wolves

Post by elk hunting grounds » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:56 pm

Does anyone have any suggestions for reintroducing wolves into the Rocky Mountains and many other areas without endangering people and livestock? I think it is crucial to unbiasedly see both sides of the argument BEFORE we take action either way towards reintroduction. The loss of wolves has destroyed many habitats, but we need to be careful about reintroducing them. Suggestions/comments are very welcome. I would like to see people's comments about this.

(Mods, I think this is the right place to post this, but please correct me if not. :wink: )

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Re: Ways to SAFELY introduce wolves

Post by Koa » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:17 pm

Would best fit in Wolf Conservation.

elk hunting grounds
Pup
Pup

Post by elk hunting grounds » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:05 am

Thanks Koa!

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:36 am

elk hunting grounds wrote:Thanks Koa!
Please try to refrain from posting with less than three words, as doing so is classed as spam. Thanks. ;)
Nothing interesting happens.
[XBL] • [Switch SW-7220-7090-5161]

WQ Wiki WQ Discord WQ Reddit

elk hunting grounds
Pup
Pup

Post by elk hunting grounds » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:52 pm

nightangelwolf wrote:
elk hunting grounds wrote:Thanks Koa!
Please try to refrain from posting with less than three words, as doing so is classed as spam. Thanks. ;)
Oops, I was trying to remember if it was 2 words or three. My apologies. :)

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Post by BlackWarrior » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:24 am

Well wolves need large spaces to roam and travel to either adjust to meet their needs as well as establish a territory with a good supply of food. Therefore, the wolves need to be released in an area that will be easy to adapt to, is far from human contact, and has a stable ecosystem for generating natural prey.
you don't want this area to be over run by wolves because the elk cannot defend themselves. There should have been wolves living there in the past.
I personally think Banff National Park would be a great place for the release of wolves.

All this you may already know but I thought if you were unsure, I would give you my insight on the topic. ^^ I could share more but I don't want to get carried away..
Not all who w a n d e r are l o s t

Community Moderator ( April 2012 – July 2015 )
WQ Report Team ( 2012 – 2013 )
User of the Month ( December 2011 )

elk hunting grounds
Pup
Pup

Post by elk hunting grounds » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:26 pm

Thank you, this is just what i was looking for.

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:58 pm

Considering how the current wolf population in the U.S. has caused enough environmental and politcal tension, and especially the ongoing tension between the general public and their worries, I cannot foresee a type of release that would be benefitial to the animal or the people surrounding the area. Even with parks in general, there's always the chance of an animal leaving the park alone or accompanied by others.. which, could be a problem. No plan is completely foolproof.

Gray wolves in the U.S. overall have reached a stable population - they will not be reaching a dramatic demise anytime soon.

elk hunting grounds
Pup
Pup

Post by elk hunting grounds » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:01 am

Thank you, Koa, I was also wondering what you think about the conversation about wolves in Utah. Good/bad idea? Just curious. Oh, and Black Warrior, feel free to get carried away. :)

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Post by BlackWarrior » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:27 am

elk hunting grounds wrote:Thank you, Koa, I was also wondering what you think about the conversation about wolves in Utah. Good/bad idea? Just curious. Oh, and Black Warrior, feel free to get carried away. :)
Well I am going to have to re-gather my thoughts on what I was rambling on about .. ^^ And I must think about your question on Utah wolves but
I will be sure to post or edit this post once more comes to mind. But glad so far it has been of help. ;)
Not all who w a n d e r are l o s t

Community Moderator ( April 2012 – July 2015 )
WQ Report Team ( 2012 – 2013 )
User of the Month ( December 2011 )

elk hunting grounds
Pup
Pup

Post by elk hunting grounds » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:30 pm

No one else gonna post? Really? I thought that more people would want to post. Oh, well. :)

WolvesOfTheSeas
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by WolvesOfTheSeas » Tue May 01, 2012 6:52 pm

Well am thinking order to safely introduce to the wolves is getting money to the people whom study the wolves like a long time ago etc and try help them go to new homes and other in wild of the earth and saves those before they get gone forever!! Or call someone to tell them what going on with the wolves.

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sun May 06, 2012 7:18 pm

WolvesOfTheSeas wrote:Well am thinking order to safely introduce to the wolves is getting money to the people whom study the wolves like a long time ago etc and try help them go to new homes and other in wild of the earth and saves those before they get gone forever!! Or call someone to tell them what going on with the wolves.
With wolves comes politics and a lot of vicious cycles with regards to "conservation", so "getting money" is not as easy as it sounds. Relocation is also expensive and generally ineffective. Besides, wolves in general are fine and there are only a few wolves that actually need the help, compared to what most people think. There are a lot of other creatures out there right now that need financial backing/support of the public more than wolves right now.

WolvesOfTheSeas
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by WolvesOfTheSeas » Sun May 06, 2012 7:29 pm

Koa wrote:
WolvesOfTheSeas wrote:Well am thinking order to safely introduce to the wolves is getting money to the people whom study the wolves like a long time ago etc and try help them go to new homes and other in wild of the earth and saves those before they get gone forever!! Or call someone to tell them what going on with the wolves.
With wolves comes politics and a lot of vicious cycles with regards to "conservation", so "getting money" is not as easy as it sounds. Relocation is also expensive and generally ineffective. Besides, wolves in general are fine and there are only a few wolves that actually need the help, compared to what most people think. There are a lot of other creatures out there right now that need financial backing/support of the public more than wolves right now.
Oh sorry Koa is that wrong what i said? Am just asking...?

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sun May 06, 2012 7:37 pm

It's not wrong, it's just that it is not exactly the best way to handle wolves. In general obtaining money firstly isn't easy, and secondly, re-location as previously mentioned is expensive and overall ineffective. There is no perfect way to handle them and all ways have their flaws, but as I said before -
Koa wrote:Considering how the current wolf population in the U.S. has caused enough environmental and politcal tension, and especially the ongoing tension between the general public and their worries, I cannot foresee a type of release that would be benefitial to the animal or the people surrounding the area. Even with parks in general, there's always the chance of an animal leaving the park alone or accompanied by others.. which, could be a problem. No plan is completely foolproof.

Gray wolves in the U.S. overall have reached a stable population - they will not be reaching a dramatic demise anytime soon.