Fish and Game seeks comments on wolf hunting rules

Discuss wolves. (News, sightings, conservation, status, etc.)

Moderators: Isela, Koa

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Fish and Game seeks comments on wolf hunting rules

Post by pawnee » Sun May 18, 2008 7:07 pm

IDAHO FISH AND GAME
HEADQUARTERS NEWS RELEASE
Boise, ID

Date: May 5, 2008
(208) 334-3700

fish and game seeks comments on wolf hunting rules

The Idaho Department of Fish and Game is seeking public comments on the proposed 2008 wolf hunting seasons and rules.

The proposed seasons and rules are available at all Fish and Game offices and on the Fish and Game Website at: http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/cms/public/.

The Idaho Wolf Population Management Plan calls for managing wolves at a population level of between 500-700 wolves for the first five years following delisting. The plan includes hunting as part of the methods of maintaining the population levels.

Fish and Game recommendations call for a total mortality quota of 328 wolves in 2008, which includes all reported wolf kills - from natural causes, accidents, wolf predation control actions and hunter kills. Reaching the quota would result in an estimated end-of-year population of 550-600 wolves.

When the statewide quota is reached, all hunting would stop. When quotas in individual zones are reached, hunting in those zones would stop.

The public review and comment period ends May 16. The Idaho Fish and Game Commission scheduled to set the 2008 wolf hunting rules and seasons during meeting at Jerome Fish and Game office May 21-22. The season and rules brochures should be out to the public in July.

Comments on the proposed seasons and rules may be submitted at regional public meetings or to regional offices; they may be submitted at the Fish and Game Website at: http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/cms/public/; or they may be sent by mail to Wolf Hunting Rules, Idaho Fish and Game, P.O. Box 25, Boise, ID 83707.

I suggest that if you choose to submit your comments....please be polite and formal in your letter/speech as well as address this from a scientific perspective while avoiding bias or emtional diction such as evil hunters, good wolves, hurting nature, blah blah blah
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

king1-7
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Re: Fish and Game seeks comments on wolf hunting rules

Post by king1-7 » Sun May 18, 2008 7:52 pm

pawnee wrote:The public review and comment period ends May 16.

Um...
Rest in peace, sisters Lakota and Mackenzie

Avvie by me

Blindseer
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Blindseer » Sun May 18, 2008 7:56 pm

that kind of defeats the purpose...
icon by Rottenrobbie

king1-7
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by king1-7 » Sun May 18, 2008 8:18 pm

Oh, well. We'll see how the F&G responds to the influx of public comments on the hunting rules. Maybe they'll add revisions to their wolf management policy? (doubtful, though.)

Avvie by me

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Rowan

Post by valkea » Mon May 19, 2008 8:15 am

pawnee wrote:IDAHO FISH AND GAME
HEADQUARTERS NEWS RELEASE
Boise, ID

Date: May 5, 2008
(208) 334-3700

fish and game seeks comments on wolf hunting rules

The Idaho Department of Fish and Game is seeking public comments on the proposed 2008 wolf hunting seasons and rules.

The proposed seasons and rules are available at all Fish and Game offices and on the Fish and Game Website at: http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/cms/public/.

The Idaho Wolf Population Management Plan calls for managing wolves at a population level of between 500-700 wolves for the first five years following delisting. The plan includes hunting as part of the methods of maintaining the population levels.

Fish and Game recommendations call for a total mortality quota of 328 wolves in 2008, which includes all reported wolf kills - from natural causes, accidents, wolf predation control actions and hunter kills. Reaching the quota would result in an estimated end-of-year population of 550-600 wolves.

When the statewide quota is reached, all hunting would stop. When quotas in individual zones are reached, hunting in those zones would stop.

The public review and comment period ends May 16. The Idaho Fish and Game Commission scheduled to set the 2008 wolf hunting rules and seasons during meeting at Jerome Fish and Game office May 21-22. The season and rules brochures should be out to the public in July.

Comments on the proposed seasons and rules may be submitted at regional public meetings or to regional offices; they may be submitted at the Fish and Game Website at: http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/cms/public/; or they may be sent by mail to Wolf Hunting Rules, Idaho Fish and Game, P.O. Box 25, Boise, ID 83707.

I suggest that if you choose to submit your comments....please be polite and formal in your letter/speech as well as address this from a scientific perspective while avoiding bias or emtional diction such as evil hunters, good wolves, hurting nature, blah blah blah
<cough> You posted that two days after..
má shínim seal uaire faoi chrann a dhéanamh só
o cad é sin don te sin nach mbaineann sin dó?

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Post by pawnee » Mon May 19, 2008 3:42 pm

it doesn`t mean you can`t voice your opinion in regards to wolves,I do it all the time and generally get a response about the issue from officials. Its better to atleast try then give up. but ya....I`ll admit I errored on the date. sorry my mistake!
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

king1-7
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by king1-7 » Mon May 19, 2008 3:55 pm

pawnee wrote:Its better to atleast try then give up.

Good advice! :mrgreen: Thanks for the info, anyway.

Avvie by me

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Post by pawnee » Mon May 19, 2008 7:28 pm

well I have to make up for being an dumb dumb somehow :)