Wolves off the Endangered List - Good News OR Bad?

Discuss wolf conservation and status.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Re: Wolves off the Endangered List - Good News OR Bad?

Post by BlackWarrior » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:32 am

No matter what way you look at this, you will always be able to pick out the pros and cons. I personally feel it has become something good and for the best of the wolves. Them being off the list should be good news to us, even though hunters now have access to them. These wolves being taken off the endangered species list, shows us their populations are stable enough to support themselves, and are only part of an everygrowing cycle and ecosystem.
Not all who w a n d e r are l o s t

Community Moderator ( April 2012 – July 2015 )
WQ Report Team ( 2012 – 2013 )
User of the Month ( December 2011 )

ellamaewolf101
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by ellamaewolf101 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:55 pm

Tita wrote:
Ameerie wrote:We dont need hunters doing natures job
That's very true. Although I don't think hunters will ever truly stop. It might not be all bad though. c:
That is so true. It is good and bad news that wolves are off endangered list. Good: That means there are more wolves now :D
Bad: They will be hunted..... :cry:

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:47 pm

ellamaewolf101 wrote:
Tita wrote:
Ameerie wrote:We dont need hunters doing natures job
That's very true. Although I don't think hunters will ever truly stop. It might not be all bad though. c:
That is so true. It is good and bad news that wolves are off endangered list. Good: That means there are more wolves now :D
Bad: They will be hunted..... :cry:
It's not an entirely bad thing that wolves will be hunted. Wolves are wolves. They are like deer and any other animal; they too need to be managed via population control.
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Post by BlackWarrior » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:34 am

Koa wrote: It's not an entirely bad thing that wolves will be hunted. Wolves are wolves. They are like deer and any other animal; they too need to be managed via population control.

I agree entirely with this statement Koa. Though it seems that hunters have a bad rep for killing wolves and other animals, it actually is proven to strengthen the ecosystem. It allows the wildlife to play their role within the Survival of the Fittest. Only the strongest will survive in the wild, yet this is beneficial because it ensures the ecosystem has a strong base and wide variety that won't be wiped out. Hunters generally hold populations at a steady level. And it is only when poachers get involved at the weakest link of the population, bringing them back towards extinction. I personally feel that the wolves off the endangered list is good news. And I accept the fact that hunters play an important role in keeping it this way.

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:30 pm

BlackWarrior wrote:
Koa wrote: It's not an entirely bad thing that wolves will be hunted. Wolves are wolves. They are like deer and any other animal; they too need to be managed via population control.

I agree entirely with this statement Koa. Though it seems that hunters have a bad rep for killing wolves and other animals, it actually is proven to strengthen the ecosystem. It allows the wildlife to play their role within the Survival of the Fittest. Only the strongest will survive in the wild, yet this is beneficial because it ensures the ecosystem has a strong base and wide variety that won't be wiped out. Hunters generally hold populations at a steady level. And it is only when poachers get involved at the weakest link of the population, bringing them back towards extinction. I personally feel that the wolves off the endangered list is good news. And I accept the fact that hunters play an important role in keeping it this way.
For gray wolves, poachers aren't even much of a problem as people think they are from what I've seen anyway. It's a rare case every now and then and barely puts a dent in the wolf population compared to just managed hunting/hunting during season.

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Post by BlackWarrior » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:04 pm

Ahh, thanks for pointing that out Koa. I suppose I should have reworded that. What I meant to say is that if any wolf populations are low, and hunters are called off, if anything were to bring down their population even more, it would be from poachers getting involved at the worst time.

I agree though with what you said. For gray wolves at this time, it doesn't much affect their populations. ^^

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:17 pm

BlackWarrior wrote:Ahh, thanks for pointing that out Koa. I suppose I should have reworded that. What I meant to say is that if any wolf populations are low, and hunters are called off, if anything were to bring down their population even more, it would be from poachers getting involved at the worst time.

I agree though with what you said. For gray wolves at this time, it doesn't much affect their populations. ^^
Gray wolf populations won't get low to a point where poachers will put a dent in their population. This back and forth cycle of "endangered" but [truly] not endangered will especially delay that. In my opinion, they [gray wolves; Mexican wolves are another story and need protection] need to stay off the list for good.

If hunters are "called off," as in, not hunting, wolves will probably have a better chance of re-populating even if poachers/people not hunting in season are involved. That's why they have managed hunts - to actually manage the wolf population and "put a dent" in the population and regulate it; people poaching gray wolves doesn't have the same effect. Like I said before, its not as common as people make it out to be.

oxoDestinyoxo

Post by oxoDestinyoxo » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:29 pm

My thoughts exactly Koa. What people do is lump wolves together into the category "grey wolf" and proceed to say they all need protection, when only really two species in North America need the help. Red wolves and Mexican Grey's. This is also the problem when listing and delisting them it seems. If you put "Grey wolf" on the endangered species list, the set of mind is that people will think the North American Grey is in some sort of danger.

And, with grey wolves off the endangered species list, poaching isn't even the correct term for, in this case, what is out of season hunting.

breezestar
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by breezestar » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:38 am

that is just HUGELY BAD!!!! :cry:

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Post by BlackWarrior » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:50 pm

breezestar wrote:that is just HUGELY BAD!!!! :cry:
Though it may seem to have its bad sides, this is actually quite great and promising news to hear. This means the wolf populations are stable and they are able to support their populations on their own. Yes, hunters may now have access to them, but this only means that the wolves are considered "consistent" and they no longer need the protection. As me and Koa were previously discussing, the odds of the wolves actually in danger of being put back on the list are rather slim, which is great news!
Suppose Red Wolves and Mexican Wolves were taken off the endangered species list, this is when we should be concerned, seeing that their populations are very low, and they do require protection and time to raise their numbers.. ;)

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:17 pm

BlackWarrior wrote:
breezestar wrote:that is just HUGELY BAD!!!! :cry:
Though it may seem to have its bad sides, this is actually quite great and promising news to hear. This means the wolf populations are stable and they are able to support their populations on their own. Yes, hunters may now have access to them, but this only means that the wolves are considered "consistent" and they no longer need the protection. As me and Koa were previously discussing, the odds of the wolves actually in danger of being put back on the list are rather slim, which is great news!
Suppose Red Wolves and Mexican Wolves were taken off the endangered species list, this is when we should be concerned, seeing that their populations are very low, and they do require protection and time to raise their numbers.. ;)
I concur.
Gray wolves will not be going anywhere anytime soon. Just want to clarify that the population has been stable for a long time now; this is not just an out of the blue, population jump and suddenly they are no longer in need of protection.

ArrowWolf005
Yearling
Yearling

Post by ArrowWolf005 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:47 pm

I think it's a very good thing. First thing, the removal from the list (I think... so much info for me) was overdue, so it's great that they are off. It's not overall a bad thing that hunters can shoot them either. Because (I think... again) it's overdue, the population has gone up and the hunters, along with other natural and nonnatural factors, can keep them from getting too overpopulated. Hunters don't succeed most of the time, either because the wolf is a wily opponent. Add in the fact that hunters can only shoot a certain amount of animals. There is all of this unnescessary hype about wolves, too, so some people will be riled up when there is a hunt. The three points are kind of connected, as well: Overdue removal- overpopulation- hunting season- some of the population goes down. If the population goes down enough, but not too much, then there will be less livestock predations, which in turn means people hunt them less, and the population may go up. It is a little bad because wolves will die, but the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages. The timber wolf is off the endangered list; let's get more endangered canines that need the attention off, too.
Last edited by ArrowWolf005 on Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arrow
Hunting with the pack for 2 years
Rumors
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=71954
Definition
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=72174

wolfbeat
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by wolfbeat » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:04 am

Good news! I hope that the wolves expand their territories eastward: Maine will welcome wolves!

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Post by BlackWarrior » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:02 am

ArrowWolf005 wrote: The three points are kind of connected, as well: Overdue removal- overpopulation-hunting season- some of the population goes down. If the population goes down enough, but not too much, then there will be less livestock predations, which in turn means people hunt them less, and the population may go up. It is a little bad because wolves will die, but the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages.
Well said on the parts I've bolded. ;)
That's the thing. Many things do connect with an animal's current population status, but many times people will only support the one side they agree with, without taking into consideration the other factors. Such as either the wolf's side or the hunters and farmers. Things all end up connecting somewhere along the line, as you sort of explained above and in the remainder of your post. And as you said, the advantages out way the small possible disadvantages of this situation, and it is in fact good news. ^^

Return to “Wolf Conservation”