Moderators: Isela, Koa

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

MN: Feds to remove gray wolves from endangered species list

Post by Blightwolf » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:12 pm

MN: Feds to remove gray wolves from endangered species list
April 15, 2011

St. Paul, Minn. -- The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service said Friday that the population of gray wolves in Minnesota, Michigan and Wisconsin has recovered enough to be removed from federal protection.

The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources last year asked the Fish and Wildlife Service to lift protections.

Nearly 3,000 wolves in Minnesota have partial protection under the law. Under certain circumstances, wolves can be killed -- but only when they have harmed livestock. There are more than 1,200 wolves in Wisconsin and Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

"Wolves in the Western Great Lakes have achieved recovery," Fish and Wildlife Service Acting Director Rowan Gould said in a news release. "We are taking this step because wolf populations have met recovery goals and no longer need the protection of the Endangered Species Act."

Officials will make a final decision on delisting the gray wolf from the Endangered Species Act following a 60-day public comment period.

The issue has been in and out of the courts in recent years. The federal government removed the wolf from its endangered list in 2009, but environmental and animal-protection groups sued to have the wolf put back on the list.

As part of a settlement the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service reached with the groups, wolves were put back on the list temporarily.

Source: http://minnesota.publicradio.org/displa ... st-wolves/
AUGUST 2009 USER OF THE MONTH

Zethra

Re: MN: Feds to remove gray wolves from endangered species list

Post by Zethra » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:16 pm

So removing them again, that could be considered a good thing considering that they are no longer listed as "Endangered" which is always a good thing for any animal.
There are more than 1,200 wolves in Wisconsin and Michigan's Upper Peninsula.
This is pretty understandable to take them off the endangered species list for the area, I believe, that seems to be a rather large number. As a lot of animals I have seen on the list, have only 200 left in the wild or so.

Thanks for sharing!
............'..........Avatar by Zethra

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Re: MN: Feds to remove gray wolves from endangered species list

Post by Blightwolf » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:34 pm

1,200 is more than enough, in my opinion. The decision to delist wolves at this time was the right solution. The population has recovered, so there is no need to keep the wolves on the list if there is no genuine reason for it.
AUGUST 2009 USER OF THE MONTH

Return to “Wolf Conservation”