Wolves Have Been Delisted Today

Discuss wolf conservation and status.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Are you happy that grey wolves have been delisted?

Yes
24%
No
65%
I don't know enough about it to be sure...
12%

Total votes: 34

IWC InfoServices
International Wolf Center Staff

Re: Wolves Have Been Delisted Today

Post by IWC InfoServices » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:04 am

Hi all,

I have a great article regarding delisting to clarify any misconceptions or misinformation out there for you. It is located on the International Wolf Center's website in the News section. Here is the link:

Code: Select all

http://www.wolf.org/wolves/news/live_news_detail.asp?id=2913
It was written just before delisting but, has some great info about what delisting means for wolves. It also helps explain what the endangered species list is supposed to do, not what people think it should do.

There is going to be a lot of media coverage about delisting of the Northern Rockies wolves and a lot of it will sound very "dooms day" for wolves. Just remember that there is always two sides to every story.

Jess, Information Services Director at the IWC

TheLaziestCapricorn
Pup
Pup

Post by TheLaziestCapricorn » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:55 am

Concern for the safety of livestock and domestic pets ranks as a major concern for many people who live in wolf country. Another concern is the potential effect of wolves on wild ungulates, particularly game animals like elk and deer. This means some people want the right to kill not only wolves that are reportedly threatening livestock, domestic pets and stock or pack animals but also wolves that are having an “unacceptable impact” on ungulate populations. For example, state wildlife officials may be concerned about loss in revenue from depressed elk hunts. A significant number of outfitters in the West earn their living by guiding elk hunts. Currently gray wolves cannot be killed unless they are preying on livestock or on a dog on private property, or unless they are determined to be the primary cause of dwindling ungulate populations such as elk or deer. And the lethal action must be taken by a federal agent, not a private citizen.

Under the revised 10-J rule, state wildlife agents, public and private land users and domestic animal owners would have the option to use lethal control to protect their own investments. Also state game agencies would be allowed to kill wolves that have a serious impact on ungulate. Under the new rule, state agencies would need only to prove that wolf predation was one of the major causes among others causing a decreased ungulate population and one of the primary reasons for ungulates not meeting state or tribal ungulate herd management goals.

None of the rule provisions would apply to wolves within national parks or in areas without the “nonessential, experimental” designation. Furthermore, a state agency wanting to kill wolves preying on ungulate populations will have to obtain USFWS approval and undergo public comment and review allowing citizens to challenge the lethal control. Ed Bangs summed it up this way: “This is absolutely not a get-out-of-jail-free card for wolf killing. This is a highly structured scientific-based process to address real problems. It won’t change the (overall) number of wolves, but it will change distribution and in a few areas the number of wolves.”
From the article.
I don't agree with the concept of killing wolves so that there will be enough deer and elk for the trophy hunters, who don't absolutly need to kill the elk and deer anyway.

I am glad that there is a lot of red tape they'd have to go through to do it, but I don't think it'll be all that hard, just like it isn't that hard for people down here in Florida to permission to hunt gators if they want to. Wolves were being shot and trapped pretty often before they were delisted, and it was just covered up, or certain people looked the other way. Now they wont have to.

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Rowan

Post by valkea » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:39 pm

So,they're going to try and lower the population back to 200 and 300? In MARCH of all months? I like wolves a lot and don't want any to be hunted down. But March is also the month of my birthday. I don't want wolves to be killed,period,but I really don't want them to be killed only about a week or so after my birthday! I can't believe people are so afraid of wolves. I actually got to pet a white one once(sorry,I know I posted this a lot) and she was AFRAID of me. Wolves aren't grandma-eaters or pig-eaters. Most of them are scared of humans. Don't wolves have a right to live just like us? Argh,I'd donate all the money they need here and now if I could!
má shínim seal uaire faoi chrann a dhéanamh só
o cad é sin don te sin nach mbaineann sin dó?

TheLaziestCapricorn
Pup
Pup

Post by TheLaziestCapricorn » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:56 am

Soon the continental US will have a policy just like Alaska's.
Aerial wolf hunting every year to boost the numbers of elk and deer for the benefit of sport hunters.

Just terrible

Blindseer
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Blindseer » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:11 am

wolkves are crucial to even trees. read this article, whicjh the governmet should too:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 224943.htm
icon by Rottenrobbie

TheLaziestCapricorn
Pup
Pup

Post by TheLaziestCapricorn » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:52 am

I remember reading, a few months ago, about how the otter population in Yellowstone has boomed since wolf reintroduction. The more scientists look at it, the more the presence of wolves seems to help the ecosystem in general.
But try telling some people that...

TheLaziestCapricorn
Pup
Pup

Post by TheLaziestCapricorn » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:58 am

I wish the wolf delisting, and the new state-by-state plans to hunt them as early as this fall were televised, even a little bit.

So far, I've only seen one, tiny, five paragraph article about the delisting...online.
It wasn't even mentioned in my local newspaper.

I've been talking to the people on Wolfhome, hoping to find sympathizers, but most people don't even know that it's happened. But maybe that's just public disinterest in environmental issues in general...

king1-7
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by king1-7 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:55 pm

I have mixed feelings about it. The fact that the population has recovered enough to be removed is fantastic. But I'm afraid of what will happen now.

I'm just glad there's a safety net; if the population drops very low, very quickly, the wolves can always be put back on the list. It's not like they'll go extinct now or anything.

I really hope that the hunters don't severely drop the wolf population, though. If the only wolves in the those states are in Yellowstone, the years of reintroducing and protecting will have been largely wasted.
Rest in peace, sisters Lakota and Mackenzie

Avvie by me

Bellamy
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Bellamy » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:59 pm

king1-7 wrote:I have mixed feelings about it. The fact that the population has recovered enough to be removed is fantastic. But I'm afraid of what will happen now.

I'm just glad there's a safety net; if the population drops very low, very quickly, the wolves can always be put back on the list. It's not like they'll go extinct now or anything.

I really hope that the hunters don't severely drop the wolf population, though. If the only wolves in the those states are in Yellowstone, the years of reintroducing and protecting will have been largely wasted.
That's pretty much how I feel about it, too.

Kenai Wolf
Pup
Pup

Post by Kenai Wolf » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:08 pm

it looks like the same 4 anti-wolf people voted again. (same number here as in the banning wolf hunting in alaska thread)
Though yes, it's nice they consider the population is recovered, it's just that:
a) I don't really feel it's recovered enough
b) even a reduction of 1 by hunting is infinitly too much
c) see b
old & new DA accounts: avan-c-lupus.deviantart.com , avan-clarctos.deviantart.com
Wolves! :3
//starting to upload more art now//

Rikkuzilla
Name: Rikku

Post by Rikkuzilla » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:27 pm

Bellamy wrote:
king1-7 wrote:I have mixed feelings about it. The fact that the population has recovered enough to be removed is fantastic. But I'm afraid of what will happen now.

That's pretty much how I feel about it, too.
Agreed.
:pawprint: WolfQuest: Undine Falls Pack Discord :pawprint:
**You must know a current member that uses the server to join.**

SilverStorm97
Pup
Pup

Post by SilverStorm97 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:51 pm

I want to ask all the wolf hunters: Do you think you life is worth $9.99 dollars?
That is how much hunters are paid for each wolf they kill. $9.99
What are you doing down here? You should be reading my post!

SilverStorm97
Pup
Pup

Post by SilverStorm97 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:08 pm

"We want to reduce the population of wolves to increase the population of elk and deer."
Crap. By killing wolves, they will DESTROY the population of elk and deer.
And if they don't I sure don't want to hit a deer every other mile or have a stare down with a buck in my lawn.
Ok, by killing wolves, there will be less things to remove...Older Elk/Deer
There will be too many mouths to feed, causing deer to forage in other areas because of lack of food. They will be forced to move to highways, farms and ranches, gardens and even lawns in search of food.
By killing wolves...There will be more diseases going around herds, killing them off.
Why? When a elk gets sick a wolf will get rid of it, keeping the herd healthy. Without that sick animal removed, the other elk/deer will get sick, killing them off.
By killing wolves...The weak are left to flourish.
What happens-weak and injured are not removed from the herd, which the wolf would of taken care of. It breeds and the it's children are weaker. Then there will be feeble elk, that cannot survive long.
By killing wolves'(I'm not sure if this is true, but it could be a possible)...Small animals such as mice, rabbits, hares, rats, voles other small animals. Without wolves keeping them balenced, the population will grow, and all those tiny mouths will need feeding. They will eat the elk and deer out of house and home, causing the deer/elk to starve and/or be forced to move closer to civilation.
That is a lecture from a ten year old, don't murder me for my spelling :( :| :) :D :lol:
What are you doing down here? You should be reading my post!

Balto_masterwolf
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Balto_masterwolf » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:15 pm

MAN THIS IS SO STUPID!!! I'M SO MAD!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS!! :x :evil: IF THINGS KEEP GOING THIS WAY...JUDGMENT DAY FOR WOLVES IS ABOUT TO BEGIN :cry:

Kenai Wolf
Pup
Pup

Post by Kenai Wolf » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:25 pm

SilverStorm97 wrote:I want to ask all the wolf hunters: Do you think you life is worth $9.99 dollars?
That is how much hunters are paid for each wolf they kill. $9.99
that's a plain insult.
a deadly insult.
old & new DA accounts: avan-c-lupus.deviantart.com , avan-clarctos.deviantart.com
Wolves! :3
//starting to upload more art now//

Return to “Wolf Conservation”