Wolves Have Been Delisted Today

Discuss wolf conservation and status.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Are you happy that grey wolves have been delisted?

Yes
24%
No
65%
I don't know enough about it to be sure...
12%

Total votes: 34

TheLaziestCapricorn
Pup
Pup

Wolves Have Been Delisted Today

Post by TheLaziestCapricorn » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:57 pm

Hey. I subscribe to the Defender's of Wildlife newsletter, and this is the email I got today:

Things have gone from bad to worse for wolves in Greater Yellowstone and the Northern Rockies.

Today, the Bush/Cheney Administration is stripping these amazing animals of vital federal protections, officially opening the door to the shooting, trapping, and killing of up to 1,200 wolves.

We can’t let that happen. Donate $50.00, $30.00 or whatever you can afford today and help support our Yellowstone Wolf Legal Defense Fund and on-the-ground efforts to protect wolves and other wildlife.

Under existing state management plans -- plans approved by the Bush Administration -- all but 300 hundred wolves could be killed. That’s 80% of the wild wolves in Greater Yellowstone and the Northern Rockies!

As I wrote last month, federal officials already made it easier to kill wolves while they were still protected under the Endangered Species Act. Now they’re taking the final step, and eliminating these federal protections altogether.

Idaho officials want to use aerial gunning to kill wolves in their state. Wyoming agencies have left the door open to the use of traps and poison to eliminate wolves. And officials in both states -- and Montana -- have proposed wolf hunts.

States could start the killing by the end of March. Please make a tax-deductible emergency donation right now and help support our work to save these wolves.

More than a decade ago, caring wildlife supporters just like you helped Defenders lead the fight to return these majestic animals to Greater Yellowstone and the Northern Rockies.

With your support, we’ve stopped earlier attempts by the Bush Administration to eliminate federal protections for these wolves. We’ve taken on wolf opponents in the Farm Bureau who wanted to kill these majestic animals… and won. We’ve pioneered innovative strategies to help humans and wolves co-exist and built powerful coalitions to advocate for common-sense wolf management.

Now we need your help to save them again.

To fund our ongoing legal work, on-the-ground advocacy efforts and proactive conservation programs to save wolves and other wildlife, we need to raise at least $125,000 by March 20th.

Your tax-deductible donation of $50.00, $30.00 or whatever you can afford will help us meet this goal and provide the essential resources we need to win this fight and save wolves.

The battle to save our wolves is one that we can, must and will win. But we can only do it with your help.

Sincerely,

Rodger Schlickeisen
President
Defenders of Wildlife

P.S. To help support our efforts, please make a secure donation online or call 1-800-385-9712 to donate over the phone.

Blindseer
Former WQ Moderator

Re: Wolves Have Been Delisted Today

Post by Blindseer » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:01 pm

the government has completely lost any respect I had for them, and I have oficially decided to not ever go to a gun show again. its all I can do, because I cant donate or anything.
icon by Rottenrobbie

TheLaziestCapricorn
Pup
Pup

Post by TheLaziestCapricorn » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:01 pm

Just ignore all the donation stuff above if you don't want to.

I think that the grey wolf population is now 1,500 strong, if I'm not mistaken. If they're planning to kill and trap 1200 of them this fall, then almost all of the wolves will be gone!
Is 1500 wolves enough to delist them? Does anyone know?

TheLaziestCapricorn
Pup
Pup

Post by TheLaziestCapricorn » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:06 pm

I also found an article about the delisting today on MSN:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23275622/

That's where I got the information that there are now 1500 wild gray wolves in Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming.
1500 doesn't seem like that many to me...

Blindseer
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Blindseer » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:07 pm

it isnt. the bush administration is a corrupt thing that only cares about money which the cattle industry bribes them with.
icon by Rottenrobbie

Kenai Wolf
Pup
Pup

Post by Kenai Wolf » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:08 pm

This is bad... very very bad...

I need to donate.

what to do!?

I thought they need 3000 to delist them?

----------------------------------------------

(my city had 30000 people in it an it's not even shown on some maps! 1500 is NOTHING in all caps!)
old & new DA accounts: avan-c-lupus.deviantart.com , avan-clarctos.deviantart.com
Wolves! :3
//starting to upload more art now//

Blindseer
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Blindseer » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:10 pm

actually, they need a lot less than that.

and this will just set everything back to square one... I wish I could just go all out yelling and smashing stuff in anger... but that would be a very unwise and immature choice.
icon by Rottenrobbie

Kenai Wolf
Pup
Pup

Post by Kenai Wolf » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:13 pm

Blindseer wrote:it isnt. the bush administration is a corrupt thing that only cares about money which the cattle industry bribes them with.
screw politics, laws, bribes, superstition and all that.

Those wolves don't need to die for the sake of companies who'd lose minimal to no profits and hunters who want entertainment.

I wonder if THEY'D like to be hunted?
"I'm going to kill you so I can enjoy a few minutes gloating over your dead body"
OR
"I'm going to have you killed so that I can save 0.000001% of my company's annual profits"
old & new DA accounts: avan-c-lupus.deviantart.com , avan-clarctos.deviantart.com
Wolves! :3
//starting to upload more art now//

ChocolateRain
Yearling
Yearling

Post by ChocolateRain » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:54 pm

I don't understand this. If they're delisting at 1500 why are taking them back down to 200? If 200 is all they need couldn't they just be delisted at 200 and left alone? If they get below 1500 wont that put wolves right back on the endangered/threatened list again?

Am I the only one here completely confused?

TheLaziestCapricorn
Pup
Pup

Post by TheLaziestCapricorn » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:55 pm

Even though I hope the lawsuit will be effective, I don't have much hope that it will be...

Are wild wolves in the continental US doomed to be harrassed and pushed towards the very edge of extinction again, just when their numbers were rising?

They can now kill 80% of the existing wolves every hunting season, so long as they leave 300 of them alive. It's terrible.

Blindseer
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Blindseer » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:56 pm

ChocolateRain wrote:I don't understand this. If they're delisting at 1500 why are taking them back down to 200? If 200 is all they need couldn't they just be delisted at 200 and left alone? If they get below 1500 wont that put wolves right back on the endangered/threatened list again?

Am I the only one here completely confused?

nope. and they are removing all the protection from them, so every time woles are delisted they will give permission to kill them all again...
icon by Rottenrobbie

Moonikinz
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Moonikinz » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:14 pm

i would donate if i could but i'm flat broke at the moment

is there any thing els we could do to get them back on the list? :(
Former Founder of Undine Falls Pack/Pack mascot
Former WQ moderator.

TheLaziestCapricorn
Pup
Pup

Post by TheLaziestCapricorn » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:17 pm

I don't know. The only thing I know to do is spread the word about the delisting; which is what I've been doing since I got back from band practice.

TheLaziestCapricorn
Pup
Pup

Post by TheLaziestCapricorn » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:19 pm

This might be something you can do to help. I already called.

As soon as tomorrow, Interior Secretary Kempthorne is expected to announce the elimination of federal protections for hundreds of endangered wolves in Greater Yellowstone and the Northern Rockies.

Please take a moment right now to call the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service at 1-800-344-WILD (9453) and deliver this simple message:

“My name is and I’m calling from I understand that the federal government may remove wolves in the Greater Yellowstone and Central Idaho regions tomorrow from the list of federally protected threatened and endangered species.

I want your department to know that I strongly oppose the weakening of protections for these wolves and expect you to fulfill your obligation to secure a lasting future in the Northern Rockies for these amazing animals.”

The lives of hundreds of wolves are at stake. Please call tonight before 8 PM Eastern Time or first thing tomorrow morning.

In a matter of hours, newspapers across the country could be reporting on the Bush/Cheney Administration's expected announcement … and its potentially devastating impact on some of America’s most beloved wolves.

But today I need your help to let these federal officials know that Americans love our wolves and want to see them protected.

Please call the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service at 1-800-344-WILD (9453) and speak out for our wolves. Leave a message if you can, and remember to let us know that you called.

Respectfully,

Rodger Schlickeisen
President
Defenders of Wildlife

Moonikinz
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Moonikinz » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:23 pm

i just did it

man i hope this helps :(
Former Founder of Undine Falls Pack/Pack mascot
Former WQ moderator.