Wolve status

Discuss wolf conservation and status.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Woofums
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Wolve status

Post by Woofums » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:03 am

How is wolf conservation going?? I havent heard anything in the news lately....
Shouting my call to the stars, proud and noble I walk, the soft breeze blowing my fur

Help
Our
Wolves
Live

Blindseer
Former WQ Moderator

Re: Wolve status

Post by Blindseer » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:07 am

where do you live? in most places wolves arent even mentioned in the news. there has been nothing in the news around here probably for at least 100 years. ( I live in south florida)
icon by Rottenrobbie

Woofums
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Woofums » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:46 pm

Well, we are going to move to colorado this summer so we get the news from there and a year ago, they were thinking about putting 500 wolves in the colorado arizona and new mexico areas and people were complaining because there are so many farms there and the wolves will kill there animals
Shouting my call to the stars, proud and noble I walk, the soft breeze blowing my fur

Help
Our
Wolves
Live

Darkwalker
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Darkwalker » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:49 pm

Well, given that there are several thousand wolves in most states where they live, I would say that conservation can't be going too badly.
Spifftastic High Inquisitor for Team Awesome.
Darkness follows in my wake...
Umbrae convenit in eorum sepulchris.

Blindseer
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Blindseer » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:11 pm

there are only 1400 in the continental united states last time I heard.
icon by Rottenrobbie

Darkwalker
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Darkwalker » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:12 pm

Hmm... interesting. I heard differently somewhere on the forums.
Therefore I should be more careful about what I believe, even if it does come from Wolf Quest.
Anyway... hey, wait. wolves are being delisted in some areas, and for that there need to be at least three thousand in said area.
GACK! I'm going out of my mind!

Blindseer
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Blindseer » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:32 am

Ive never read that anywhere...

the only state that I read was supposed to have more than 1000 was alaska, with about 10000 wolves.

of course, all of this is stuff I found on websites with google. I dont know what is confirmed by leading biologists.
icon by Rottenrobbie

lilalphapup
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by lilalphapup » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:41 pm

Yeah I live in Alaska but there is no wolf conservation here only far away from where I live.
A
l
p
h
a
"Come to the dark side... We have cookies (::)"
~Alpha

.....(\_
...||{ `-;
(../..\ }
))|__\\
((_(),'\\,

).......(\_
((.... _/{ "-;
)).-' {{ ;'`
( (. ;._ \\

Darkwalker
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Darkwalker » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:57 pm

Well, clearly I was misguided. Continue!

Woofums
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Woofums » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:08 am

Whaaaaa!!!!! I just heard that in a lot of states, wolfs are still really endangered but people are taking them off of the list so they can be hunted!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Help
Our
Wolves
Live

Blindseer
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Blindseer » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:40 am

Darkwalker wrote:Well, clearly I was misguided. Continue!
you might not be, I do not know if what I read was true or how old it was.
icon by Rottenrobbie

CLBaileyi
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

Post by CLBaileyi » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:32 pm

Rather than try to quote and answer each individual who has made comments on this thread, I am going to do them all at once.

There are several different wolf conservation projects going on in North America right now.

One is in the southeast with red wolves. There are about 100 in the wild and this is a cooperative project between captive breeding facilities and USFWS.

Another restoration project is the Mexican gray wolf program in Arizona and New Mexico. This is also a cooperative project between many federal and state agencies with original release animals coming from captive breeding facilities.

2. There isn't a current plan to release wolves into Colorado, AZ, and NM as one, but this had been discussed by several groups for the return of wolves to the southern rockies.

3. There are several areas in North America with gray wolf populations above 1000. Alaska, Canada, the Western Great Lakes (Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan) and the western US in the Northern Rockies (Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming). Go to the International Wolf Center website and see the regional population numbers: http://www.wolf.org/wolves/learn/wow/
From this link, you can look at wolf numbers in specific areas around the world.

4. Wolf programs and other issues of wolves are always in the news these days. Again, visit IWC website at www.wolf.org or have news delivered into your email box by using google news on their browser.

5. Wolves are managed by hunting or other means of removal for a variety of reasons-impact they may have on a prey base, conflict with humans, etc. Just because they are delisted, doesn't mean they will automatically be hunted in every state/region. Here in MN, I am actually very proud that we have gone from a couple hundred wolves to a very healthy population at or about 3000 wolves in our state, with several additional hundred in Wisconsin and Michigan, all with the help of the Endangered Species Act.

6. There is alot of information out there about wolves. You should be careful about where the information comes from. On the forum, for example, the WQ team has different colors on their name than regular users. Our goal is to gather the most current information and distribute it to you-with the best science behind it. As it has been mentioned before, the International Wolf Center is one of the the key sources that we use when trying to figure out "fact from myth".
" Many people think that conservation is just saving fluffy animals - what they don't realize is that conservation is war to prevent the human race from committing suicide. " Gerald Durrell (1925-1995)

TheLaziestCapricorn
Pup
Pup

Post by TheLaziestCapricorn » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:38 pm

Well for one thing, gray wolves were delisted today. There's a post about it in General Wolf Discussion.

Return to “Wolf Conservation”