Species of Endangered Wolves (Worldwide)

Discuss wolf conservation and status.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Songdog
Former WQ Moderator

Species of Endangered Wolves (Worldwide)

Post by Songdog » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:00 pm

Arabian Wolf: Critically endangered, declining population. A small species that is not known to howl, live in small groups of no more than 3-4 wolves. Lives in isolated regions of Southern Israel, Oman, Yemen, Jordan, and Saudi Arabia.

Caspian Sea Wolf: Critically endangered, declining, hunted as a "nuisance" animal. Found in a very small, remote region of in the extreme southeastern portion of Russia that borders the Caspian Sea. Extremely rare.

Egyptian Wolf: Critically endangered species, estimated only 30-50 individuals still survive. Sometimes mistaken for a jackal and there are no laws to protect them from hunting in Egypt.

Italian Wolf: Endangered (Vulnerable?) located in the Apennine Mountains in Italy, but have also established residence in Southern France and has been spotted in Switzerland. It is protected by law in all three countries. Italian Population growing bout 7% each year with 500-600 in wild; France has about 40-50 wolves which have been preying on sheep and have apparently attacked people.

Mexican Wolf: Critically endangered, most distinct subspecies of the Grey Wolf. In 1998, it was reintroduced to Arizona; the wild population is about 35-50 and the captive population is about 300. The species is protected.

Vancouver Island Wolf
: Very shy, rarely seen. Four captive in zoo; they only live on Vancouver Island. Endangered.

Himalayan Wolf:
Critically endangered, 21 live in zoos with a small population of 300 wolves in total. Oldest species of species of wolf known in existence, genetically distinct from other species. Estimated to be 800,000 years old.

Indian Wolf:
Endangered, 2000-3000 Indian Wolves still existing by estimate. Has been known to 'lift' children and livestock, but is still protected in India. Have been known to kill and eat people.

Songdog
Former WQ Moderator

Re: Species of Endangered Wolves (Worldwide)

Post by Songdog » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:05 pm

Shoot, this is supposed to be in the Wolf Conservation area, I posted in the wrong window. Can some one please move it for me?

Blindseer
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Blindseer » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:38 pm

I have moved it for you.
icon by Rottenrobbie

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Post by pawnee » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:41 pm

don`t forget the ethipian wolf, or the maned wolf, though the two aren`t really canis lupus wolves, just candids.
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

Songdog
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Songdog » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:03 pm

The Maned Wolf isn't a wolf, it's just a canine. It's more closely related to a fox than a wolf, though it is it's own genus. It's not endangered either.

Is the Ethiopian Wolf a true wolf? My sources are telling me multiple things from jackals to foxes to wolves. It is listed as genus Canis, however....anyone have an exact answer?

ChocolateRain
Yearling
Yearling

Post by ChocolateRain » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:10 pm

Songdog wrote:The Maned Wolf isn't a wolf, it's just a canine. It's more closely related to a fox than a wolf, though it is it's own genus. It's not endangered either.

Is the Ethiopian Wolf a true wolf? My sources are telling me multiple things from jackals to foxes to wolves. It is listed as genus Canis, however....anyone have an exact answer?
Post from CLBaileyi..
CLBaileyi wrote:There are two recognized species of wolf found in the world: gray wolves and red wolves. The Ethiopian wolf scientific relationship to wolves is still up in the air. Go to www.wolf.org for the different subspecies that are recognized throughout the world. It is under their learn bookmark. Alot has changed re: subspecies-for example, even here in NA, we now just have 5 subspecies and not a list of several dozen.

Darkwalker
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Darkwalker » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:36 pm

I'm afraid that I have never heard of Egyptain wolves.
Spifftastic High Inquisitor for Team Awesome.
Darkness follows in my wake...
Umbrae convenit in eorum sepulchris.

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Post by pawnee » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:41 am

some people just group egyptian wolves with the whole part of the middle eastern countries. They are very small and all the pictures i`ve seen of them, their rather skinny animals.
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

Blindseer
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Blindseer » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:28 am

are you talking about jackals or something? because that description fits them.
icon by Rottenrobbie

Darkwalker
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Darkwalker » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:49 am

The question is, how do we get them un-endangered? All of them.
Spifftastic High Inquisitor for Team Awesome.
Darkness follows in my wake...
Umbrae convenit in eorum sepulchris.

Siberian Husky
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Siberian Husky » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:46 am

Darkwalker wrote:The question is, how do we get them un-endangered? All of them.
i have no idea :(
Siberian Husky - シベリアンハスキー

Praise the Sun!

Vida
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Vida » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:59 pm

Darkwalker wrote:The question is, how do we get them un-endangered? All of them.
I don't even think there is a way. Unless there was some way to create conservation centres for them or find some way to stop them being hunted or their habitats being destroyed
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” - Mahatma Gandhi

Site for writers: http://inkassociation.proboards76.com/

Webkinz88
Pup
Pup
Location: padding through Alaska with my pups (<-coming soon) and my mate P.S. GO TO MY SIGHT PLEASE!

Post by Webkinz88 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:55 am

There used to be a tiger wolf (for example) and if its true (which i believe is true), man shoot it sooooo much they were ALL killed. :(
And thats all I know about the Tiger Wolf for now....
I got my own sight now!: www.freewebs.com/jayxcinder87
(wolf section added) Why was me gone? READING WARRIOR CATS!!!!!!

Return to “Wolf Conservation”