What will protect wolves from delisting?

Discuss wolves. (News, sightings, conservation, status, etc.)

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Darkwalker
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Re: What will protect wolves from delisting?

Post by Darkwalker » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:54 pm

On Topic: Wolves are not in danger of extinctionin most places. The govenrment is not a buch of bumbling idiots (under normal circumstances). I think wolves should be protected because there are dramatically fewer of them than there were before human intervention, and their ecological position is more fragile than that of most of their prey species.

Semi-Off Topic: Mosquitos are a valuable food source for spiders, insectivorous bats, and insectivorous fish. Their larvea are food for many aquatic insects as well.

Off Topic: Any extict species is tecnically a victim of natural selection. We must protect species in danger now because we cannot know whether or not it was us that drove them to such a fate. If we insist on catagorizing ourselves as above and beyond nature, then we should allow it to continue the selection process as it always has, without much interference from us. If we are not careful, in the future we may end up saving a species that should have become extict. we could alwasy make sure that there were small populations outside of the normal ecosystem for the sake of the preservation of a unique species, but that's another story...

PS: HUMAN POPULATION CONTROL! EXCELCIOR!
Spifftastic High Inquisitor for Team Awesome.
Darkness follows in my wake...
Umbrae convenit in eorum sepulchris.

Vida
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Vida » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:55 pm

Since the quickest way to lower the human population is the mass killing of millions of people, and no one wants that, the next idea is birthing limits. I've probably said this in another post but unless people are only allowed a certain amount of children, then the numbers will continue rising and rising. The Earth can barely sustain human life as it is and we are consuming resources faster then they can be replaced.

On topic: Aren't some wolf species in danger of being extinct? Even so, wolves as a whole are not going extinct any time soon. But still wolves, and all other animals should be helped. Why do some governments only take action when some species are in danger of going extinct?
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” - Mahatma Gandhi

Site for writers: http://inkassociation.proboards76.com/

Songdog
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Songdog » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:25 pm

I actually agree with the human birthing limits. There are way too many people and the planet is having trouble supporting them all.

On topic: Yes, I posted a topic listing all the endangered species and their status/information: http://wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3641

Fox_McCloud_
Pup
Pup

Post by Fox_McCloud_ » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:34 pm

The only real thing stopping wolves from being wiped off the face of the earth is their smartness and.....well thats basicly it
Water the element of a wolves eyes tranquil and watchful
Fire the element of a wolves body powerful and fast
Earth the element of a wolves voice loud and full of emotion
Air the element of a wolves spirit pure and free

Darkwalker
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Darkwalker » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:48 pm

On-Topic: I believe ethiopian wolves are among the more endangered species. The only reson they can still survive is by preying on the nomadic herders cattle.
Off-Topic: Vida and I have said this before, but China has done some good work with birth limits, and is just achieving zero population growth. They, however, are capable of siezing your house, posessions, and job if you don't comply.
Spifftastic High Inquisitor for Team Awesome.
Darkness follows in my wake...
Umbrae convenit in eorum sepulchris.

Blindseer
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Blindseer » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:59 pm

which is an excellent improvement to society, I think every country in the world should do that.
icon by Rottenrobbie

Fox_McCloud_
Pup
Pup

Post by Fox_McCloud_ » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:38 am

Sorry for getting off topic but limiting how many kids you have?! We are studying china in school, and I think its not an improvement at all, if they want to limit their population then they need to learn how to stop having babies!

Blindseer
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Blindseer » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:40 am

Fox_McCloud_ wrote:Sorry for getting off topic but limiting how many kids you have?! We are studying china in school, and I think its not an improvement at all, if they want to limit their population then they need to learn how to stop having babies!
yes, that would be an even bigger improvement.

the world currently needs a population decline of several billiuon, and limiting childbirth is one of the most humain ways of doing it. the fastest and easiest is to nuke the most heavily populated areas, which is most definitely out of the wuestion.
icon by Rottenrobbie

Fox_McCloud_
Pup
Pup

Post by Fox_McCloud_ » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:55 am

.......no it doesnt the world population is fine and how can you even think like that!?!!

Blindseer
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Blindseer » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:58 am

because I believe in ending world hunger and saving the environment. and what is the problem with having less children?

the world is overpopulated, and if there are less people I think worlsd hunger and many other problems will simply cease to exist

again, it was food=babies for several thousand years, but that has changed with todays society. now its babies=money
icon by Rottenrobbie

Fox_McCloud_
Pup
Pup

Post by Fox_McCloud_ » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:03 pm

I'm not againts having less children but ending world hunger has nothing to do with bombing a country

Blindseer
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Blindseer » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:04 pm

actually, it might. but I did not say that anyone should bomb a country.
icon by Rottenrobbie

Vida
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Vida » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:23 pm

I think what Blindseer meant was that if you bomb a country, then there will be less people and less people means more food for others... I think not sure ^^;;. Anyway he said it was out of the question anyway

I think that the governements should start imposing childbirth limits now. It's strange how many people try and help the environment by saying, "if we do this then we will have less fossil fuels by this time" yet hardly anyone brings up the topic of overpopulation. Or if they do, they don't actually mention imposing childbirth limits on everyone. What people are doing to help the environment is great, but lets face it, unless there is less people on the planet then all that effort is in vain
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” - Mahatma Gandhi

Site for writers: http://inkassociation.proboards76.com/

Bellamy
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Bellamy » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:44 pm

What about India's family structure?

Blindseer
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Blindseer » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:46 pm

Bellamy wrote:What about India's family structure?
I dont know what you mean by that, but india has the highest population density on the planet, and it is extremely overpopulated.
icon by Rottenrobbie