What will protect wolves from delisting?

Discuss wolves. (News, sightings, conservation, status, etc.)

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Secret
Pup
Pup

Re: What will protect wolves from delisting?

Post by Secret » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:52 pm

Bingo. Were pretty much the main cause for animals declining, and not just the wolfs. Exotic animals that live in the rain forest, all of their numbers are declining because people are cutting down their habitat. If we hadn't come along, some good things, and bad things wouldn't have happened, but I definatly feel that all endangered speices deserve a chance to come back. Poaching needs to be less, and conserving a little more, just until we reach a balance. Thats what I think.
Secrets are meant to be kept...

LunarWolfVII
Pup
Pup
Location: Deep within a forest...Somewhere...*mysterious smile*

Post by LunarWolfVII » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:36 pm

I agree that they should not be delisted, however, in some areas, hunting may be necessary.
This sounds bad, but please let me explain:
in some areas, wolf-reintroduction is so successful that they are dominating the food chain. this is never good for either animal or human, the wolves, having dominated, begin to run out of food, and so are forced to find alternative food sources, including pets, livestock etc. once again bad for both sides.
considering we helped messed up our own ecosystem before, it is only fair that we should now be good stewards of it and help to maintian a balance too many of one animal is never a good thing.

However, I do agree, we are dealing with human nature, not gods or whatnot. and I'm very fearful as well that this "population control" will swiftly get out of hand. setting us back into the opposite harmful extreme - near, or complete extinction - AGAIN.
*sigh* ...Such is human nature...we disregard and mistreat what is in our care...and are blind to the consequences until it's too late to change...
...when the sun has gone I see you
beautiful and haunting but cold
like the blade of a knife so sharp so sweet
nobody knows your heart...

- "Princess Mononoke" by Joe Hisaishi

My DeviantART - http://skygatecreations.deviantart.com/

LunarWolfVII
Pup
Pup
Location: Deep within a forest...Somewhere...*mysterious smile*

Re:

Post by LunarWolfVII » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:47 pm

I have, I think it can work to some lengths, but I still think there is no eradicating rancher-wolf killings.

it is this kind of killing I can somewhat understand, they must protect their herds and livelyhood, but there's a difference between killing a wolf on YOUR property, and going out into their terf and hunting them down for sport or whatnot.
ChocolateRain wrote:What about the ranchers and farmers who sometimes lose their cattle to wolves? Several of them kill wolves because they're afraid they might lose more cattle which they need to make their money. I've heard ranchers using all kinds of techniques to keep wolves away but they never end up working. They don't exactly hunt wolves for sport and will probably keep killing them until some sort of method is invented which proves to work.

Anyone see A Man Among Wolves and Shaun Ellis' technique to play territorial wolf howls to keep other packs away?
...when the sun has gone I see you
beautiful and haunting but cold
like the blade of a knife so sharp so sweet
nobody knows your heart...

- "Princess Mononoke" by Joe Hisaishi

My DeviantART - http://skygatecreations.deviantart.com/

Joyce_Wolf
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by Joyce_Wolf » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:49 am

i thought that i posted something in this .. did someone delete my post?? *scratchs head*

Blindseer
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Blindseer » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:33 am

Ive been haing problems with this too. I dont think anyone deleted it, because "yay I reached 3000 posts! :mrgreen: " in the rank topic is not off topicor offensive or anything.
icon by Rottenrobbie

River
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Re:

Post by River » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:27 pm

ChocolateRain wrote:Um the wolves are the ones wandering on to the ranchers land.
"You think you own whatever land you land on
The Earth is just a dead thing you can claim
But I know every rock and tree and creature
Has a life, has a spirit, has a name"

Wolves lived there before ranchers claimed that land for themselves.
It's quite funny how the song Colors of the Wind is so relevant to today.

"Come run the hidden pine trails of the forest
Come taste the sunsweet berries of the Earth
Come roll in all the riches all around you
And for once, never wonder what they're worth...

...You can own the Earth and still
All you'll own is Earth until
You can paint with all the colors of the wind"
Are you hunting for mystic mountains
Where the air is like liquid laughter?
Where the beasts inherit the earth
Where the last again will be first

Joyce_Wolf
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by Joyce_Wolf » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:50 pm

yeah the wolves did live there before any rancher bought it... that song sounds firmilair..

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Post by pawnee » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:57 pm

I like how disney songs are finding their way into my life. :D

I think ranchers and farmers have a right to have a way of life, as long as its not hurtful to other people and animals. people interfere too much with the wild as it is. I think people should just stop meddiling things, some might say nature or food chain is out of whack, that predators and prey should be moderated and kept at levels. but nature is never consistent nor a happy medium, populations are always flexing, changing and evolving. pherhaps its time people learn when to stop and let things happen.
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

Joyce_Wolf
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by Joyce_Wolf » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:42 pm

pawnee wrote:I like how disney songs are finding their way into my life. :D

I think ranchers and farmers have a right to have a way of life, as long as its not hurtful to other people and animals. people interfere too much with the wild as it is. I think people should just stop meddiling things, some might say nature or food chain is out of whack, that predators and prey should be moderated and kept at levels. but nature is never consistent nor a happy medium, populations are always flexing, changing and evolving. pherhaps its time people learn when to stop and let things happen.
what do you mean disney songs. the only songs i like that ive ever heard off of disney channel is elvis presleys songs.. I LOATH HM.. :x

Vida
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Vida » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:55 am

Pawnee means "Colors of the Wind" which is a song off the disney movie "Pocahontas."

It feels wierd writing colour as color xD
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” - Mahatma Gandhi

Site for writers: http://inkassociation.proboards76.com/

Argos
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Argos » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:09 am

Fastenjaw wrote: I hope they do not get delisted.
So you are against wolves rebuilding their numbers and getting of the endangered species list? You want that ever looming spectre of extiction over so many species of wolf?
"I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?" --Tom Clancy.

Blindseer
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Blindseer » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:44 am

Argos wrote:
Fastenjaw wrote: I hope they do not get delisted.
So you are against wolves rebuilding their numbers and getting of the endangered species list? You want that ever looming spectre of extiction over so many species of wolf?
what we want is for the government to continue protection of wolves, and delisting will open up hunting again and we wil be back to square 1.
icon by Rottenrobbie

Joyce_Wolf
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by Joyce_Wolf » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:29 pm

so your saying blindseer that if the goverment keeps the wolves on the list they will be less hunted?. cause if that then i vote for the wolves to stay on the list if they get less hunted if there on the list then yeah....

Blindseer
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Blindseer » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:31 pm

yes, if wolves stay on the list they will be less hunted. while being on the list could be bad because of population, at least hunting wouldnt cause them to go extinct.
icon by Rottenrobbie

Argos
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Argos » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:44 pm

However, the goverment cannot decide to hold one species of animal back from delisting just because they want to "save that animal." When the endangered and threatened species acts were passed they set numbers for listing and delisting, can't change them just because they want to.
"I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?" --Tom Clancy.