Discuss wolf conservation and status.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Comments favor wolf protection over hunting at Hailey meetin

Post by pawnee » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:48 pm

Deadline to comment on state's draft wolf management plan is Dec. 31

By :JASON KAUFFMAN

A large crowd gathered at the Community Campus in Hailey yesterday evening voiced strong opposition against establishing a large-scale wolf hunt both during and after a presentation by Idaho Department of Fish and Game staff on the state's proposed wolf population management plan.

The Hailey meeting comes ahead of an expected decision by the Idaho Fish and Game Commission sometime in March on whether to approve or deny the plan. If adopted, the plan will establish the rules to guide a future Idaho wolf hunt.

The deadline for the public to comment on the draft plan is Monday, Dec. 31.

In general, the overriding attitude that came out of Monday's meeting was one advising the Fish and Game to slow down and take a more cautious approach to Idaho's first-ever managed wolf hunt. If the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service successfully delists wolves in the Northern Rocky Mountain states of Idaho, Montana and Wyoming from the federal Endangered Species List by March, as they have announced they intend to do, those states would take over management of the controversial species.

However, a number of conservation groups have announced that they intend to sue the federal government to stop or delay the expected delisting of Northern Rockies wolves. That could indefinitely delay the handing over of wolf management to Idaho and its neighboring states.

Only a few of the several dozen speakers who commented on the wolf plan in Hailey indicated support for the hunting of wolves. This differs from other meetings held throughout the state where more speakers indicated support for the draft plan.

To view the Idaho Department of Fish and Game's draft wolf population management plan go to fishandgame.idaho.gov/ and click on "Wolf Management Plan Public Meetings Set."

Written comments on the plan can be submitted online at the Fish and Game's Web site, or by mailing them to the Idaho Department of Fish and Game, P.O. Box 25, Boise, ID 83707.

http://www.mtexpress.com/vu_breaking_story.php?bid=4712
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

Vida
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Re: Comments favor wolf protection over hunting at Hailey meetin

Post by Vida » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:57 pm

At least most people favour wolf protection. If the wolves are delisted then their back to square one. They say that the hunt would be managed, but there would be people who shoot too many or something. I certainly hope the hunt doesn't go ahead D:
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” - Mahatma Gandhi

Site for writers: http://inkassociation.proboards76.com/

Blindseer
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Blindseer » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:02 pm

If they start hunting them I will never go to as gun show again, even though I usually enjoy those, because I am sick of seeing dead wolfies killed by people who just dont care.
icon by Rottenrobbie

Vida
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Vida » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:37 pm

That must be hard. Especially if you like going to the gun shows and then seeing dead wolves :(

Surely they can't delist them if enough people are against it...
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” - Mahatma Gandhi

Site for writers: http://inkassociation.proboards76.com/

king1-7
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by king1-7 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:46 pm

It's always nice to be reminded that there are still tons of people siding with the wolves. :D
Rest in peace, sisters Lakota and Mackenzie

Avvie by me

Joyce_Wolf
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by Joyce_Wolf » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:39 pm

Blindseer wrote:If they start hunting them I will never go to as gun show again, even though I usually enjoy those, because I am sick of seeing dead wolfies killed by people who just dont care.
you go to gun shows!!???? :?: :?: :? :shock: :shock: :shock: .. Guns are sickening..

Blindseer
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Blindseer » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:24 am

gun shows are interesting, there are tons of antique rifles from the civil war era and cicil war sabers and stuff. there is even this one pistol from one of the early wars that looks exactly like a star wars pistol. the stuff that is there is really interesting.

guns themselves arent sickening, only some of the people that use them.
icon by Rottenrobbie

Joyce_Wolf
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by Joyce_Wolf » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:40 pm

yeah but just the thought of the people that used the guns.. and then looking at the guns :roll:

Return to “Wolf Conservation”