non-lethal control methods

Discuss wolf conservation and status.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

non-lethal control methods

Post by pawnee » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:40 am

what does everyone think of non-lethal control methods such as spaying and neutering alpha pairs as opposed to culling and shooting indivdual animals? In British Columbia, some hunting outfitters claim that wolves, not people, are the cause of decline in herds like sheep, elk, deer and caribou and so wolves need to managed. Of course, not too many people believe in this theory and have tried to stop te goverment from implenting a shoot to kill method of control. But other scientists have started an expirment that spays females ( aka histerectomy) and neutering males (aka vesectomy). In areas like zoos or enclosures, do you think something like this could work?
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

Raizure
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Raizure » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:52 am

sort of but not really

it owuld practically kill off the wolves

if they did it to maybe a few wolvves (Like 20 percent of males and females) it might work

tikomi
Pup
Pup

Post by tikomi » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:46 pm

I have to say, I understand, but we do have something to do with the decline. In the US there used to be wolves everywhere, as people know, but with being hunted the way they were, the deer are now in creasing in population, WAY to fast. Now deer are hunted like crazy and their meat is popular so now there are around 3.5 billion cows in the world. Next the cows will be slaughtered even more crazily and who's to say what the next over populated animal will be? (Besides people, in my opineon over 6 billion people in the world is going way over what limits are supposed to be, hence the balance in the rest of the world is being corrupted... just an opineon)
The wolf I am.
The wolf you wish to be.
But the wolf I am.

Whitefang2331
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Whitefang2331 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:12 pm

Most people spay/neuter thier dogs to lower the number of the pet population.That could kill them off considering most farmers want to get rid of these so called farm pests and hunters will never want ANY compettion. I understand what you mean though, lowering their numbers might not do them very many favors, but there is one. What if they were captured in somplace they were not supposed to? If they get close enough to a city like near a home close enough for animal control to catch them and they are not too terribly afraid to come into close contanct with people then they should be neutered or spayed to prevent the pups from learning to not fear humans, raid trashcans, ect.

AL21
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by AL21 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:15 pm

I say its wrong to shoot them down.
Wolves aren't overpopulated so they shouldn't be spayed or neutered.
I'm sooooooooo excited for wolfquest!!!!

tikomi
Pup
Pup

Post by tikomi » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:42 pm

Compared to how many there were, in my opinion wolves are underpopulated
The wolf I am.
The wolf you wish to be.
But the wolf I am.

WQ Project Coordinator
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

Post by WQ Project Coordinator » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:18 pm

There is a ranch out in Idaho that promotes and produces Predator Friendly products. Here is their mission statement:

"The mission of Lava Lake Land & Livestock is to effect the
restoration and long-term conservation of native ecosystems
at a landscape scale and to build an economically viable and
environmentally sound business. "

They have been working with a number of different conservation organizations to reduce wolf/livestock interactions.

So there are ranches out there that aren't out to get the wolf.

Michelle

tikomi
Pup
Pup

Re: non-lethal control methods

Post by tikomi » Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:18 pm

That is REALLY good! By the way, with how the site changed, how can I get my color text or a pic on the post??
The wolf I am.
The wolf you wish to be.
But the wolf I am.

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Post by pawnee » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:03 pm

I agree, wolves or any other native animal should not be controlled simply because people feel theres to much of the population. but what about captive wolves? surley if you left captive wolves in a pen long enough eventually you might have more wolf pups than the facility can feed, so feeding contraceptives to captive females might not only prevent unwanted puppies, but also lower female aggression. for some reason there seems to be a high death rate among females in captivity thats caused by other wolves, mainly females.
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

tikomi
Pup
Pup

Post by tikomi » Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:40 pm

I know the pittsburg zoo kept male and female animals apart with a little cliff/wall/mini canyon
The wolf I am.
The wolf you wish to be.
But the wolf I am.

Nightfire
Pup
Pup

Post by Nightfire » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:12 am

I dont think spaying/neutering will work. Spaying/neutering causes the animal to become tame, they wont wander, they wont mark their territory, and they wont fight, so an unneutered/unspayed wolf will take its place as alpha, and just mate with an unspayed/unneutered wolf.

~Nightfire~

Spottedpelt
Pup
Pup

Post by Spottedpelt » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:24 am

I agree with tikomi wolves arent overpopulated anymore, they are underpopulated.

Us humans are overpopulated but no ones going to run around with a shotgun killing us are they?
*I have left the forum, nice knowing you*

Fangs of Fire
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Fangs of Fire » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:54 am

Spottedpelt wrote:Us humans are overpopulated but no ones going to run around with a shotgun killing us are they?
I am. :twisted:

Nahaya
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Nahaya » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:55 am

I don't think this is a good idea, beacause I saw a program where the alpha male and female were spayed and neutered, but they got so depressed they couldn't have pups that they died!

wind
Pup
Pup

Post by wind » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:06 am

Well, at least they aren't giving them dog food -.- dog food is poison to dogs (all those preservatives cause all sorts of problems kidney, for some dogs it takes longer to kill them depending on how much 'human' food you give them that is healthy), it lacks the nutriants that are nessesary, and are removed when the dog food is processed into the powder, watered then molded together and baked. Humans are trying to rid the world of 'dog' breeds including wolf.

But then there you go thats a cruel and unusual method to control the wolves -.-

And I think i was the one saying that along time ago.. with the former posts, that the humans are the issue, its not the wolves. I stated that in the 'call off the guns' post. when they were talking about the 330,000 elk population, vs 1300 wolves. and 80+% of what is killed is killed by humans.
Their pawprints lead you along the trails of discovery and insight.
To look in their eyes, forever imprints your heart.
To hear their howls, forever marks your soul.
To connect with them, forever bonds your spirits.

www1.freewebs.com/midnightswind

Return to “Wolf Conservation”