Dog and Wolf intraspecies

Post wolf-related questions and we'll try our best to find the answers.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

1BitJay
Name: Jay

Dog and Wolf intraspecies

Post by 1BitJay » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:04 pm

Can wolves and dogs breed? And has it ever been done?
I ᗯOᑌᒪᗪ ᔕᗩY TᕼᗩT ᗰᑌᔕIᑕ Iᔕ TᕼE EᗩᔕIEᔕT ᗰEᗩᑎᔕ
Iᑎ ᗯᕼIᑕᕼ TO E᙭ᑭᖇEᔕᔕ, ᗷᑌT ᔕIᑎᑕE ᗯOᖇᗪᔕ ᗩᖇE ᗰY
TᗩᒪEᑎT,
I ᗰᑌᔕT TᖇY TO E᙭ᑭᖇEᔕᔕ ᑕᒪᑌᗰᔕIᒪY Iᑎ
ᗯOᖇᗪᔕ
ᗯᕼᗩT TᕼE ᑭᑌᖇE ᗰᑌᔕIᑕ ᗯOᑌᒪᗪ ᕼᗩᐯE ᗪOᑎE ᗷETTEᖇ.

αν;; i forgot </3 ѕιg;; мє
1BitJay

Croix
Former WQ Moderator

Re: Dog and Wolf intraspecies

Post by Croix » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:17 pm

Yes, the result of breeding a domestic dog and a wolf is called a wolfdog. Wolfdogs are actually illegal in some states, and are usually kept as pets.
There are many things on WolfQuest about them.
A wolfdog (also called a wolf–dog hybrid or wolf hybrid) is a canid hybrid resulting from the mating of a wolf (various Canis lupus subspecies) and a dog (Canis lupus familiaris). The term "wolfdog" is preferred by most of the animals' proponents and breeders because the domestic dog recently was taxonomically recategorized as a subspecies of wolf. The American Veterinary Medical Association and the United States Department of Agriculture refer to the animals as wolf–dog hybrids. Rescue organizations consider any dog with wolf heritage within the last five generations to be a wolfdog, including some established wolfdog breeds.

In 1998, the USDA estimated an approximate population of 300,000 wolfdogs in the United States (the highest of any country world-wide), with some other sources giving a population possibly as high as 500,000. In first generation hybrids, gray wolves are most often crossed with wolf-like dogs (such as German Shepherd Dogs, Siberian Huskies, and Alaskan Malamutes) for an appearance most appealing to owners desiring to own an exotic pet. Because wolfdogs are genetic mixtures of wolves and dogs, their physical and behavioral characteristics cannot be predicted with any certainty.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf-dog_hybrid

DiamondD
Pup
Pup

Post by DiamondD » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:40 am

Croix wrote:Yes, the result of breeding a domestic dog and a wolf is called a wolfdog. Wolfdogs are actually illegal in some states, and are usually kept as pets.
There are many things on WolfQuest about them.
A wolfdog (also called a wolf–dog hybrid or wolf hybrid) is a canid hybrid resulting from the mating of a wolf (various Canis lupus subspecies) and a dog (Canis lupus familiaris). The term "wolfdog" is preferred by most of the animals' proponents and breeders because the domestic dog recently was taxonomically recategorized as a subspecies of wolf. The American Veterinary Medical Association and the United States Department of Agriculture refer to the animals as wolf–dog hybrids. Rescue organizations consider any dog with wolf heritage within the last five generations to be a wolfdog, including some established wolfdog breeds.

In 1998, the USDA estimated an approximate population of 300,000 wolfdogs in the United States (the highest of any country world-wide), with some other sources giving a population possibly as high as 500,000. In first generation hybrids, gray wolves are most often crossed with wolf-like dogs (such as German Shepherd Dogs, Siberian Huskies, and Alaskan Malamutes) for an appearance most appealing to owners desiring to own an exotic pet. Because wolfdogs are genetic mixtures of wolves and dogs, their physical and behavioral characteristics cannot be predicted with any certainty.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf-dog_hybrid
I have to agree with that but here are some videos of a wolf hybrid ,
What even is a signature? I'm not creative.. stop shoving creativity on me. :c

NewMooon
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by NewMooon » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:39 am

Yes, wolves and dogs can interbreed. As a matter of fact there is a litter of wolf dogs for sale in the town i live in.
..........╔═╦╗────╔═╦═╗
..........║║║╠═╦╦╦╣║║║╠═╦═╦═╦═╦╗
..........║║║║╩╣║║║║║║║╬║╬║╬║║║║
..........╚╩═╩═╩══╩╩═╩╩═╩═╩═╩╩═╝

.........."life IS hard."
.........."~ŋɚɰ ɱøøŋ

Green Paws Team

TextArt© Nightly
Avvie© Crystal

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:02 am

NewMooon wrote:Yes, wolves and dogs can interbreed. As a matter of fact there is a litter of wolf dogs for sale in the town i live in.
Please do not repeat answers.

For a better read on wolfdogs, please see this thread:
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=34932
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

Return to “Wolf Q&A”