How do I make a gif as my avatar?
Making gifs to express oneself from a favorite TV show, singer's performance, etc. is a popular practice.
gifsoup, senorgif, tumblr and many others are popular website where many go to find GIFs to use or post.
Instead of using GIFs off those sites as avatars, why not make your own?
Directly using gifs regardless from other sites may be a problem because there's not many you can find under 100 x 100, right? The size of the file could be too big for the avatar requirements here. Or, you may know how to make gifs but have no idea how to scale them to 100 x 100 using a free program.
Step 1: Joining a site that allows you to create gif
- Join gifsoup.com. It's free, but if you wish to access certain perks and use them, you may want to join with a membership.
- gifsoup.com uses YouTube videos only. If you link to a video that isn't from YouTube, it will not work.
- Your gif needs to be under 15 seconds long. If you want a gif that's longer, you'll need to purchase a membership.
The start time/end time of your gif goes in the corresponding boxes, i.e. if you want your gif to start at 3 minutes and 03 seconds in the video and want it to end at 3 minutes and 05 seconds you would put that as the start time and then the end time.
- It is wise to save it as the largest size avaliable to free users (Medium) for re-sizing/scaling purposes later. (Sometimes the height, if you select the smallest version, will be under 100 pixels.)
- Go to lunapic.com and upload your gif.
- You can crop or scale your gif, or add text.
I recommend that if you wish to crop your gif, you do that before anything else. Scaling is used for getting the gif exactly to 100 x 100 without removing parts of the gif like you would with cropping it. Adding text should be done last. Now save your gif!
- I use photobucket.com to upload my pictures. Once you've found a photo-uploading site you like, you can upload your gif and use it now on places like this site. (Using the direct link and pasting it into the ""Off site" box in your User Control Panel>>Profile>>Avatars)