Mate bug?

Ask and help answer questions about the WolfQuest game and forum. Check the Knowledge Base first! http://support.wolfquest.org

Moderator: Neamara

MidnightRose9
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Mate bug?

Post by MidnightRose9 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:23 am

Hello!

Recently, I've bought the newest version of Wolf Quest (through Steam) and goodness is everything amazing so far, everything is running so smoothly and perfect! Though, as I got a mate, settled down at the den, and had pups. I couldn't help but quickly notice that every-time my mate left (to get food, I assumed) he would only walk a few feet away from the den and come back. He would pick up the pups when they wondered too far and bring them back, but really wouldn't do much other than that. Not even fight of predators. So, I sort of took things into my own hands and went to go look for food on my own. But when I did, he completely abandons the pups and follows me around.

I thought maybe this was a minor glitch and exited the game, restarted my laptop, and loaded up the game again. But it was the same results. So, I checked on the forums to see if anyone was experiencing the same thing. I couldn't find anything. But if this problem has already been dealt with, I'm so sorry for the inconvenience! All answers/advice are deeply appreciated! :)

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Re: Mate bug?

Post by Neamara » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:31 am

Hi MidnightRose9,

The mate has had some of its qualities improved just as much as others have been toned down. All of these behaviours are intentional as part of the 2.7 update versus what was intentional(?) in older releases. For documented differences between versions, check out the landing page over on the WolfQuest Wiki: http://wolfquest.wikia.com/wiki/Mate

MidnightRose9 wrote:I couldn't help but quickly notice that every-time my mate left (to get food, I assumed) he would only walk a few feet away from the den and come back.
They'll likely be headed for a mate-only carcass spawn (following them to it will only result in it despawning but you can usually see it with scent vision) or the nearest player-killed carcass(es) if any are available. It'll continue to do this throughout the episode if I'm remembering that correctly.
MidnightRose9 wrote:He would pick up the pups when they wondered too far and bring them back, but really wouldn't do much other than that.
Your mate actively helps maintain pack affinity while also keeping the pups safe - expect to see it grab pups that are close to any intruding predators while you're at the den.
MidnightRose9 wrote:Not even fight of predators.
While the mate was easily more trigger-happy about attacking prey and predators in the old free version, to my understanding, by not attacking predators, your mate is either allowing you to deal with the threat for the experience yield, or it's prioritising the pups just enough for it to keep out of your way so as not to be an obstruction.
MidnightRose9 wrote:So, I sort of took things into my own hands and went to go look for food on my own. But when I did, he completely abandons the pups and follows me around.
Your pups now hide in the den to keep themselves safe while you're away. (I believe this only occurs after train your pups?) This way, players can hunt with the added convenience of their mate's assistance rather than going alone. Sometimes this doesn't trigger and may be linked to pack affinity.

Fortunately they'll have different personalities in the upcoming anniversary update as part of the codebase being overhauled and reworked, so that their behaviour and performance is a lot more varied and hopefully a bit less predictable than it currently is. You can find more information about these plans over in the devblog: [/color]
*pokes the forum with a 10ft pole*
it's (still) dead jim

[
XBL] • [PSN]
[
Switch SW-7220-7090-5161]

MidnightRose9
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by MidnightRose9 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:02 am

Oh my goodness, thank you so much!

I'll be sure to check out the links as soon as possible. And, I really do apologize again if my question was any trouble. I was genuinely so confused at my mates behavior. The last time I played Wolf Quest was back to the older, free version, where mates getting stuck behind the dens were frequent (the nightmares). I remember having to try and get him out myself manually, ah, good times. I just bought and installed the game again, and so far, I'm impressed! I did expect things to be different, but this took me by surprise. I really did think there was just a bug. But, that upcoming update has got me excited! Can't wait to see it.

Thank you again for your help, and replying so quickly :)

wolf567
Former WQ Moderator

Post by wolf567 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:47 pm

Glad to hear your question has been answered! :)

To prevent repeated answers, I'll lock this topic.

-Topic Locked-
Wolf567 / Blaze

Return to “Tips, Hints, and Help”